DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Losing some faith in good/honest work (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142999)

TexasBorn 05-22-2013 10:05 PM

Losing some faith in good/honest work

Ordered my magnaflow y-pipe from AutoAnything last week. good shipping, customer service, prices, products...that whole schpeal. Well, come pay day, i start calling around local shops to get a quote to install just the y-pipe...nothing more. the shop that installed my flowmaster wanted 175 bucks just for an install. another local joint quoted me about 250. and a Meineke, of all places, who specializes in muffler/exhaust work, wanted 350 DOLLARS...AMERICAN!!!:Wow1: what shocked me the most, was when i was talking to the tech on the phone, the guy had no idea what a y-pipe was or what it did. i explained it to him and he still didn't get it and asked his fellow technician about it, and he didn't understand it either. am i asking too much? i mean really, it's 3 cuts, and a weld. granted it's been a while since i worked in a shop but it shouldn't even take that long. definitely less than an hour depending on their competency. anyone care to chime in with their y-pipe install?:doh:

namretsud 05-22-2013 10:23 PM

I would drive back to the place you have dealt with before with part in hand and ask as it seems that no one understands what you are asking. Being a past and possible future customer he should bend over backwards for you.

JB2012ram1500 05-22-2013 10:56 PM

wow really 350 someones on the pipe... yeah that shouldnt be anymore then an hour labour if that. jeez thats just nutz

DarthRam 05-23-2013 12:48 PM

I was looking at a Y-Pipe and Magnaflow install. I called a local shop to get a quote over the phone. He didn't know what a y-pipe was either. I ended up going there so he could look at the truck to be sure he could do it. He carried y-pipes but he called them something else. This was an older guy, in his 50s. Do you think there is another name the exhaust guys call it? Two in one?

He quoted me $120 for install with his y-pipe BUT that was all aluminum. The entire job with him ordering the Magnaflow 14" and his y-pipe with labor etc would have been a shade under $500 but again that was just aluminum. Stainless would have ran me another $100 because he could only get 10 foot lengths of stainless.

kkreit01 05-23-2013 04:08 PM

I agree. The place I went to wanted $250 to remove my OE muffler, and weld in a 22" Magnaflow. I already had the muffler in hand. I said "no way". I got them talked down to $179 (the labor they get for replacing OE muffler), but still felt like I got screwed. It should have been < $100. I should have walked, but it was close to my work/convenient. It did take them 2 hrs, and they added about 4" of SS pipe (wooo). I paid $80 for the same work -- on my previous truck -- about 4 years ago.

TexasBorn 05-23-2013 04:54 PM

i'm just going to have to take it in and caveman my way through it all in explaining it. at this point i'm probably better off just asking if i can use their lift and welding materials :LOL:

MoparMadness08 05-23-2013 05:29 PM

I tried to get mine installed when i did my magnaflow muffler and they said it was a waste of time. All they could do was keep telling me why i shouldnt do it. Most exhaust shop guys i have dealt with are idiots. I still havent had it put on. I just dont want to deal with the next idiots at another shop.

Moose612 05-23-2013 07:07 PM

Yeah I agree with moparmadness. The majority of exhaust shop guys are not the brightest bunch. Thats not to say all are bad. I always take the part to a shop and say how much to weld this in. Did it for my y-pipe and e-cutout. Went to one shop they charged me 60 bucks for the y. Wasn't happy with their work (shitty welding) So I tried another place for the cutout. 45 bucks and 15 minutes later all done! Good welds and good customer service. Alot of times aftermarket stuff you have to actually drive around and get quotes with part in hand.

shawnu 05-23-2013 07:55 PM

WOW... I paid $40 to have a muffler swap... And found somwhere else now that does better work. they put a flow on my silverado with turndowns for $40 and if i wanted pipes ran over the axle and dumped itd been $60, thats including pipe, bends, ect. Thats just rediculous!!!

dwanton 05-23-2013 08:14 PM

I paid $120 to Bargain brakes and mufflers -- they installed a flowmaster muffler , tailpipe and a 4" chrome tip .