DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New improved way to debadge (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143021)

UpToNoGood 05-23-2013 06:03 AM

New improved way to debadge

Just for the record I didnít invent this but read it from others posting how they did it in different threads. Now I wanted to pass on this easy and simple way to debadge without blisters on the fingers.

Step 1 is removing the badge. Most will say use fishing line and that did work for the first door. However I found it easy to use a paint stick to remove the badge. Disclaimer I did this late in the afternoon when the badges were nice and hot. Take the paint stick and grind it on the driveway making the end sharp like a putty knife. It doesnít take long at all to get a nice edge on the paint stick. Work the paint stick between the badge to be removed. Sometimes I had to hit it from both sides.
Using either fishing line or the paint stick resulted in sticky foam being left behind on the truck so use whatever option makes you happy.

Step 2 is removing the foam and sticky glue. This is probably the part most hate. This is where the paint stick comes in to save time and sore fingers. With the sharp edge of the paint stick scrap off the foam. It comes off so easy and it doesnít hurt the paint what so ever. Once you have all the badges and foam removed the only thing that will be remaining will be the sticky glue. Now spray the remaining glue with glue be gone or goo be gone. Continue to scrape the glue with the paint stick. All the glue will slide in to a nice neat pile as long as it is wet from the Goo be gone.

You will have to work the final shadow of the badge off with some elbow grease, but I found it to be much easier using the paint stick.

Feel free to add to this if you know a better way.

AcadianRam 05-23-2013 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm looking at taking mine off just as soon as it warms up where I live

Grubrunner 05-23-2013 09:01 AM

What is a paint stick?

dodgert 05-23-2013 09:04 AM

Its a wooden stick you use to stir paint i believe.And i just ran a hair dryer over my letter for 10 mins then used fishing line it took off 90% of the black junk then used goo be gone and a rag and no blisters here.

Grubrunner 05-23-2013 09:09 AM

Oh I know what that is, I just wasn't sure he was speaking of scrapping a wooden stick on his clear coat???

blacknchromehemi 05-23-2013 09:16 AM

most hardware stores sell plastic razor blades just spray any citrus based cleaner on the glue let it sit for a minute or two then scrap of afterwards clean area with soapy water (with dawn) to remove the citrus cleaner

Raminator5280 05-25-2013 06:34 PM

My truck was debadged and then badged again. Whoever rebadged it used some kind of adhesive. Not sure what kind but it is extremely tough to get off. I want to get them off but afraid of pulling paint or not being able to get the leftover adhesive off. Any ideas?

UpToNoGood 05-25-2013 07:00 PM

consider taking it to a body shop and see what they can do for you if you don't want to attempt it

dwanton 05-25-2013 07:13 PM

I've always used a bodyfiller spreader -- a soft plastic , very thin and plyable -- just slide it under the nameplate and work your way along .

then I use an eraser wheel on a drill to remove the double faced tape .

wipe it clean with a rag and polish -- never know there was anything there.

TheSatinPumpkin 05-26-2013 09:27 AM

I just used a hairdryer and weed whacker trimmer line to remove the emblem.
eraser wheel for the remnant adhesive.