DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Pinion Nut Recall 13V038 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143121)

Dvp16 05-24-2013 10:43 AM

Pinion Nut Recall 13V038

I realize there is another post on this but wanted to see if we can have a thread we can chime in on as dealers start getting parts to fix this issue. I got my notice from Chrysler in April in the mail and still no parts here in my area. I have called Chrysler Customer Service and got the run around.
Recall notice..

This interim notification letter is
sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Chrysler has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2009 model year Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango vehicles; and 2009 through 2012 model year Dodge Dakota and Ram 1500 series trucks equipped with a 9.25" rear axle.

The problem is...

The rear axle pinion nut on your truck (VIN: xxx) may have

been built
without an adhesive patch on the pinion nut threads. The lack of this

adhesive patch could allow the rear axle pinion nut to loosen and/or the rear

driveshaft to separate from the rear axle. A loose pinion nut could cause the rear axle to seize and a separated driveshaft could cause a loss of motive power. Either situation could cause a crash without warning.

Chrysler intends to repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). Parts required to provide a permanent remedy for this condition are currently not available. Chrysler will contact you again by mail, with a follow-up recall notice, when the remedy parts are available.

Rocky Harbour 05-31-2013 11:02 AM

This was a case of "CYA" by Dodge/Ram. They only issued the recall after they were ordered by NHTSA. Before that they were in a state of denial that there was even a problem in the first place.

It is baffling that it has taken this long and still no parts to fix the problem. That only makes you wonder even more?:wtf:

Turbovsix 05-31-2013 02:46 PM

Exactly, and I'm on my third failure/rebuild of this differential in 88,000 miles, and I don't even tow anything. Ridiculous.

arjan 05-31-2013 04:10 PM

I had my rear diff replaced also. Started wining under moderate load. Replaced at 50k km

Hemi flash 06-03-2013 04:26 PM

I've had the notification of "no parts yet" as well but No problems hopefully yet !

cammer 06-03-2013 04:56 PM

We are ok on ours as well! But we only have 9100 miles

Emorris69 06-04-2013 08:19 AM

Mine is still fine but the second I got the notice I made them take the whole thing apart and do a tightening/inspection. Im at 60,000Km's

RansRAM 06-04-2013 08:59 AM

I got the recall notice and I have heard nothing since. I sent an Email to my dealer (General Manager) who passed it on to his service advisor and Chrysler. It has been over a month now and nothing. I did remove my drive shaft and inspect the pinion nut myself, it seems to be on tight and has not backed off. So I added some red loctight to the exposed threads for piece of mind. Got to agree this whole thing is being badly mismanaged. I truly hope there are no fatalities before they get their act together. :4-dontknow:

RAMeister 06-05-2013 11:27 AM

Received the notice - called the dealer. Said they'd let me know as soon as they had parts... Its been more than a month I think. :sad:

MrPEZO 06-05-2013 01:31 PM

I have had my parts on order for at least 3 weeks now.