DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Please tell me my intake is just REALLY dirty! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143239)

tox 05-25-2013 09:22 PM

Please tell me my intake is just REALLY dirty!
 
Is this what a bad plenum pan looks like? (Please say no, lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ14L...ature=youtu.be

I have been replacing a lot of parts this last week: valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil. I thought the water pump seal was bad, but it turned out it's the timing chain cover gasket, so the chain is bad too, all new rad. hoses, thermostat, etc. I'm hoping I don't have to do the plenum too.

:LOL: I'm starting to wonder if my truck was neglected.

crazzywolfie 05-25-2013 09:50 PM

if you plan on keeping the truck you may want to replace it. you can permanently fix it for about $130 plus labor. it is almost impossible to tell if it is blown by looking down the throttle body. some of what you see is most likely a result of a pcv valve. you could install a water/oil separator on your pcv valve line to keep the oil from getting back into your intake from the pcv and it only cost about $40 max and you don't have to tear apart your engine. it should also save your catalytic converter a bit longer since you won't be burning oil that would normally be sucked in from the pcv valve.

tox 05-25-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie (Post 1107770)
if you plan on keeping the truck you may want to replace it. you can permanently fix it for about $130 plus labor. it is almost impossible to tell if it is blown by looking down the throttle body. some of what you see is most likely a result of a pcv valve. you could install a water/oil separator on your pcv valve line to keep the oil from getting back into your intake from the pcv and it only cost about $40 max and you don't have to tear apart your engine. it should also save your catalytic converter a bit longer since you won't be burning oil that would normally be sucked in from the pcv valve.


I think I probably will be keeping it for at least a few years. My brother keeps telling me to get another GM, lol. Anyhow, it looks like I will be replacing the intake anyway because the thermostat bolt broke off in it, then the ez out broke off in the bolt, cobalt drill bits aren't wining in the battle with the hardened steel in the ez out, and I don't have a welder to put a nut on top.... what fun. The PCV valve was definitely bad, there was a good amount of sludge that looked almost like cake under the valve cover on the drivers side. So that got replaced.

crazzywolfie 05-25-2013 11:09 PM

from what i have seen watching other people on other forums i have pretty much learned never use a ez out extractor. the only way to tackle something like that is a left handed drill bit. if that don't work then you will most likely have to drill and tap it or use a heli coil.

i am guessing you used a cheap pcv valve from the parts store? from what i have read they don't work as good as the mopar ones. you may want to still consider putting a oil separator on the pcv valve line. most people are pretty surprised how much oil ends up in it in such a short time.

tox 05-25-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie (Post 1107831)
from what i have seen watching other people on other forums i have pretty much learned never use a ez out extractor. the only way to tackle something like that is a left handed drill bit. if that don't work then you will most likely have to drill and tap it or use a heli coil.

i am guessing you used a cheap pcv valve from the parts store? from what i have read they don't work as good as the mopar ones. you may want to still consider putting a oil separator on the pcv valve line. most people are pretty surprised how much oil ends up in it in such a short time.


Haha, yeah I don't think I'll ever use an ez out again. I should've just spent the money and got LH bits and taps, would've saved me a lot of work in the long run.

I think I got a Dorman PCV valve, it was like $4. Could you direct me to a mopar one and the oil separator?

Thanks for all the help!!!

crazzywolfie 05-26-2013 03:38 PM

i think you can still get the mopar ones at a dodge dealer. i think they are about $10. the oil separator you can get at just about any parts store that has air tool. they are used to remove water/oil out of the air to make the tools last longer. you may have to glue the drain on it since they normally require pressure to keep them closed. this is not mine but what one looks like installed in a car.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94...hcanandpcv.jpg

Warlock III 05-26-2013 04:20 PM

Well, better late than never. The intake didn't look all that bad. I probably would have just gone and done it anyway since you've already done so much.

P.S. Tell your brother to mount a tow bar to the front of his GM (assuming HE has one) and you'll tow it around for him when it breaks down. :LOL:

tox 05-26-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock III (Post 1108197)
Well, better late than never. The intake didn't look all that bad. I probably would have just gone and done it anyway since you've already done so much.

P.S. Tell your brother to mount a tow bar to the front of his GM (assuming HE has one) and you'll tow it around for him when it breaks down. :LOL:

Haha, GM isn't that bad. I had a Sierra for almost a year and it was a solid truck even though it had been seriously neglected and needed a lot of major things fixed because of that. Not to start 'the debate' here, but GM doesn't have a lot of problems that Dodge has, lol, like the plenum and the trans for example. I just like the interior and exterior on Dodge more though.


Yeah, I think after I finish my current projects on the truck I'll have to install a separator! :)

crazzywolfie 05-26-2013 07:08 PM

i think i was told that certain gm products had the same plenum issue. every brand has good and bad things.

tox 05-26-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie (Post 1108317)
i think i was told that certain gm products had the same plenum issue. every brand has good and bad things.

Yeah, everything has it's issues, that's true. Everything's fixable too.

I just stuck a magnet down the throttle body and it stuck. :sad:

I'm not sure if I'm going to get the Hues pan or this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-A...125f1e&vxp=mtr

It's probably easier just to buy the Hues one though.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger