DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Daytona (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Plasti Dipping entire truck (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143312)

thekid0311 05-26-2013 06:14 PM

Plasti Dipping entire truck

On the "Plasti Dip, use it!" thread I had posted that I was looking for something more permanent than plasti dip. Ive been doing some research and some pricing on what I would cost me to do a complete color change on my truck. For the plasti dip its gonna cost me about $150 and a full day compared to $3500 for a paint job and 3 weeks of it at the shop. Im gonna be doing a plasti dip of my truck here soon and I was gonna leave the Daytona lettering on the side silver and black out everything else. When I get the funds together and get the time Ill take pictures and do a full write up on it but I was wanting to know what you think about doing it? How it will look and everything else. Good part about it is if I don't like it I can just peel it off. From the guys at Dipyourcar.com it seems pretty durable once it cures and it still removable. If I like it I will end up keeping it that way and redoing it each year. Ive got some nicks in my paint and stuff that I want to cover up and my rear bumper is dented and scratched all to hell because my mother backed it into yellow bumble bee pole she didn't see when she was back it up one day when I let her use it and I got most of the dent out but there was not hope for fixing the paint and it bugs me so that's why Im doing this.

All thoughts and any concerns or pointers before I do is welcomed.

spoiler 05-26-2013 06:24 PM

Plasti dipping an entire truck is a young mans game- I approve of your plan and I agree that if money is tight - it is the best way to make a major color change. The only advice I'd give is... a couple light coats at first- then gradually lay it on with smooth overlapping strokes - it'll be the coolest truck on the block!

RogerRamJet 05-26-2013 06:38 PM

Excellent decision, Kid! I just Plasti-Dipped my wheels and grill. The bumpers are next - basically covering up all the chrome. A few bucks and a little bit of time paid off being that it changed the entire look of the truck. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress and all the pics that go with it.

11bighorn 05-26-2013 07:04 PM

the cars on the dipyourcar youtube channel look good, i can't wait to see some pics of your truck finished

Asur 05-26-2013 08:10 PM

+1 on seeing pics of your truck when its done

TheSatinPumpkin 05-26-2013 08:40 PM

Seen a few ram members do their whole ride and from the pics it was ok. Wrap would would be a alternate option for DIY.

SK-Ram 05-26-2013 09:10 PM

Plastic dip is not for everyone, I think trucks plastic dipped look sick! Provides paint protection too when you go offroad.

Chunkem 06-06-2013 03:47 PM

Any pics???? How did it go.....

thekid0311 06-08-2013 09:34 AM

I haven't done it yet man. Ive been working a lot. Ive had the time to get the plasti dip and I went ahead and got 23 cans of it. I just haven't had time to do it. My next day off I will start. Ive gotta wait out the weather that's here right now to. Its suppose to rain all next week. So it will be at least another week. Im hope I will get a couple days off here soon because we have some new guys coming here soon. So it shouldn't be to much long before I can get pictures and stuff up.

thekid0311 10-08-2013 01:42 PM

Sorry for the delay on everything but I had to abandon the project because some person things came up. I will get around to it but it will take me a while before I can really dedicate the time to get it done.