DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Possible to make a 5.9 more fuel efficient + power? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143387)

ThatOneKid 05-27-2013 11:39 AM

Possible to make a 5.9 more fuel efficient + power?

Hello all,

Im new here to the forum, and also to dodge trucks.

I'll make it quick, what is/what have you guys done to make your truck more fuel efficient, and while adding power at the same time?
I know simple intake/exhaust mods help a little bit, but what have you all done, and how much does it help exactly?

Thanks!

the persuader 05-27-2013 12:04 PM

My intake didn't do much for fuel economy. If anything, I think it dropped a little. Do a tuneup if it hasn't been done already with a new distributor cap and rotor, new sparkplugs and wires. Make sure your intake plenum gasket hasn't gone bad.

As far as better fuel economy, I haven't seen much improvement for these engines. An electric fan should help, but the best and easiest mod, as much as it pains me to say, is changing your driving style. these are thirsty engines.

2001ram1500sport 05-27-2013 03:10 PM

wondering the same thing. ive heard the K&N intakes give you a little better fuel economy but other than that i haven't really heard of much i could do to save mpg. if any body has any ideas plz let me know. i own a 2001 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 offroad. with the 5.9 360

Gen1dak 05-30-2013 11:39 PM

Cam swap and high quality clutches in the (automatic) transmission. The stock slushbox soaks up a lotta power. The stock cam specs are very tame. The engine really wakes up with a better cam. Not simple bolt-ons, but they make for a much better foundation. Still, the most significant method has already been mentioned, and that's driving style. Adjust the kickdown to upshift sooner. It's dull and uninspiring, but a lugging (not to the point of rattling) engine turning slower speeds with a lighter throttle foot means better mileage.

barra340 06-02-2013 12:56 PM

I agree with driving style. Running cooler and well maintained works best.
I have some box installed on my injectors for fuel economy. Was on there when I bought the truck. Any idea what it is?

440sp 06-02-2013 08:49 PM

I have a heavy 2500 (8800) 5.9 and 4.10 gears and I have done everything mentioned here K&N filter, open exhaust with shorty headers still have cat though, changed the front from hub bearings to lock outs which helped some but not much at least I do not have to change hub bearings anymore, no cam change though BUT the biggest thing that did help was I installed a vacuum gauge and watch it constantly trying to keep the vacuum as high as possible by doing this I went from 9mpg to almost 13mpg!! big jump considering it costs $$$$ to fill her up. As mentioned earlier these trucks are not fuel misers but pretty thirsty but again I have a heavy 2500 with 4.10 gears if I went to 3.55s I probably would see more MPGs but lose in the low end...hope this gives you some ideas.........

the persuader 06-03-2013 11:33 AM

I may try a vacuum gauge on mine. Where is yours mounted and tied into the vacuum lines? I'm guessing somewhere off the intake manifold would work?

440sp 06-04-2013 01:55 PM

I mounted it in a single pod piece on the a pillar driver side and tied it into the intake, i split one of the vac lines and tee'd in .......

Warlock III 06-04-2013 02:09 PM

You could mount 4 of these on your truck and commute to work with 4 friends?

http://simblaa.files.wordpress.com/2...er_wheel_1.jpg

:LOL:

dotram01 06-05-2013 10:55 PM

Hey 440 SP, Please excuse my ignorance , but what are you talking about when you are refering to the vacuum gauge.