DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Brakes (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   New Front Brakes Already (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143517)

dstone84 05-28-2013 10:58 PM

New Front Brakes Already

When I got my tires changed the other week Pepboys told me I only have a couple weeks left on my front brakes. Is this even possible? I only have about 32000 on my 2010 dodge ram. Is it normal for brakes to have to be replaced so soon?

Can anyone recommend a place to get a second opinion. Also Pepboys are trying to charge about 300 just to replace the front brakes. That seemed rather high to me. Does anyone know the average price to get front brakes replaced?

Outlaw 05-29-2013 08:02 AM

If they really need replacing go to autozone buy the pads for at most $40 and it yourself.

dstone84 05-29-2013 08:17 AM

Thank you for the suggestion but I am not mechanical handy at all nor do I have the correct tools. I would probably just screw something up.

Excoastie 05-29-2013 08:53 AM

I would recommend that you talk to friends, family, and co-workers.

Ask who they would recommend in your local area to get some work done on your truck. I have a mechanic local to me that I use for all of my "non warranty" work, which fortunately has been almost none recently.

good luck

Exco

seanbeckaroo 05-29-2013 02:36 PM

$46 for Ceramic pads at Autozone; 40 minutes to do both sides. Throw in a bottle of brake cleaner and save yourself $250. I would ask some friends to help you :) People actually love to help others, it's a little known secret :)

clatla 05-29-2013 08:04 PM

32,000 miles is under warranty. Has it been more than 3 years since the truck was put in service?

Butter 05-29-2013 08:59 PM

Like others have said you can buy the pads for $50 or less, a shop shouldn't charge more than $80-100 per hour and shouldn't take more than 2 hours......It shouldn't take two hours but thats what they will charge you for. If you can find a small private owned shop you can do better on the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clatla (Post 1111007)
32,000 miles is under warranty. Has it been more than 3 years since the truck was put in service?

Brake pads are not covered under warranty.

browndawg 05-29-2013 09:39 PM

ask around brakes are easy to do if ur not comfortable doin them urself then ur bound to find somebody who will do them for cheap every time I hear of someone that got raped on a 300-500$ brake job and I say why didn't u ask me I will do them for 25$ a side they always say "I thought u were busy" so ask and u shall receive if ur in Illinois close to the quad city area I will do them, and u proly got more life left than u know in them pads if there not squeling or grinding then your good oh yea I would just replace the rotors while ur at it and I think you got pretty good life out of them pads if there the originals

dstone84 05-29-2013 10:28 PM

Thanks all for the suggestion but again I don't have the skills or tools to do it myself. Nor do I have any friends that are mechanics. My question was more what price should I expect to pay at a shop and is it normal for me to need new pads at just 32000 miles

browndawg 05-29-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstone84 (Post 1111145)
Thanks all for the suggestion but again I don't have the skills or tools to do it myself. Nor do I have any friends that are mechanics. My question was more what price should I expect to pay at a shop and is it normal for me to need new pads at just 32000 miles

well if that's the case then $300.00 is about right for carx,midas,etc if ur willin to put in some work then maybe call around and get a better price and 32000 miles seems pretty good (depending on how u drive) especially if there original pads