DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Interior Cleaning and Maintenance! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Detailing 2012 Sport (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143522)

Doom4life 05-28-2013 11:12 PM

Detailing 2012 Sport

I would like some tips on what types of products to use as I need to detail my 2012 Sport. I would preferably like to use products that are easy to get (e.g. Meguiars, Mothers, Lexol) as I'd like to do this ASAP.

I have the sport with the vinyl dash, leather wrapped steering wheel and premium leather trim seats (I think its a mix of vinyl and leather?).

I'm not sure if a vinyl cleaner/conditioner is all I need or if I need to be using a product for leather on to use on the leather items (please be specific).

Also, my steering wheel is starting to become a bit shiny (ie no longer dull grey), anything I can do about this or is this unavoidable. It's barely noticeable now, but I'd like to try and keep it as new as possible.

spoiler 05-29-2013 12:56 AM

Plenty of ways to spend a lot of $ on detailing products- I'd recommend getting a couple bottles of Meguiars- one for leather and the other for vinyl and rubber.
Clean everything really well and gives all surfaces a good coating of product . Unless the leather is damaged you'll be able to bring it back to new if you keep wiping and wiping and wiping until all the grime is gone. The Meguiars is okay/cheap and easy to get- while your waiting for those bottles to empty - do a YouTube search for some higher end products like "Adams" polish and detailing kits- you will see how for a reasonable cost you can get some much nicer results if you send away and get the "good stuff"
Good luck

dodgert 05-29-2013 01:15 AM

Ive been using adams for years its a little pricy but omg the shine

Doom4life 05-29-2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoiler (Post 1110464)
I'd recommend getting a couple bottles of Meguiars- one for leather and the other for vinyl and rubber.

So vinyl for the dash and I'm assuming leather for the leather wrapped steering wheel.

How would you deal with the seats? I've heard part of it is leather and part of it is vinyl?

brandonjansen 05-29-2013 02:09 AM

Mcguiars interior detailer for the vinyl and plastic, Mcguiars leather cleaner and conditioner for the seats. Works great! Been using it for years on all my family's vehicles and many friends. Everyone is amazed at how well it cleans everything up and makes it shine.

Are you only looking at doing the interior or the exterior as well? If you want some easy do it yourself polishing products check out the thread I started on polishing my truck.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=142829

primo spaghetti 05-31-2013 06:49 PM

if youre going to be looking at using products "quick and in a hurry", im guessing you are loking to use over teh counter options.

if thats the case, the best over the counter options in my experience is Meguiars, and either autoglym or mothers.

you really cant go wrong with any of them. I usually prefer to get a water based dressing over a solvent based, and def try to steer clean of silicone based whenever possible.

if youre looking to start placing orders over the net for specialty/boutique or more professional products, then thats a whole other ball of wax! but they arent always more money!

Hermes1 06-01-2013 09:55 AM

I agree stepping up to better products is worth it, big difference. There are a number of posts in this forum on detailing which contain members experiences with a variety of product, worth reading.

Chunkem 06-06-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doom4life (Post 1110320)
I would like some tips on what types of products to use as I need to detail my 2012 Sport. I would preferably like to use products that are easy to get (e.g. Meguiars, Mothers, Lexol) as I'd like to do this ASAP.

I have the sport with the vinyl dash, leather wrapped steering wheel and premium leather trim seats (I think its a mix of vinyl and leather?).

I'm not sure if a vinyl cleaner/conditioner is all I need or if I need to be using a product for leather on to use on the leather items (please be specific).

Also, my steering wheel is starting to become a bit shiny (ie no longer dull grey), anything I can do about this or is this unavoidable. It's barely noticeable now, but I'd like to try and keep it as new as possible.

You are going to want to speak to the expert on the Forum....Primo Spaghetti.... Good luck....

Ed

Hermes1 06-06-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunkem (Post 1118439)
You are going to want to speak to the expert on the Forum....Primo Spaghetti.... Good luck....

Ed

That is a big 10-4, he is indeed the master.