DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Stupid Ass Steering issues... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143694)

RobertD0723 05-31-2013 12:47 AM

Stupid Ass Steering issues...

I have a 1998 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4. The steering is scary loose. I replaced the tie rods and had no luck in tightening anything up. I have been told it is the power steering gearbox and pitman arm. The gearbox is not leaking but the pitman arm looks like hell.
Should I start at the pitman arm and see if it does anything?
Where can I get a pitman arm for a good price? (The auto parts stores around me want $100 plus).

Screamintrashcan 05-31-2013 12:25 PM

What it sounds like you are missing is the slop in the drivers side of your track rod, buy a lukes link (dotcom) off the web and replace it, if you have a grinder and any sort of mechanical ability and 45 minutes, you have what it takes to overhaul that ballsocket assembly. One thing, buy a replacement nut and cotter pin before you replace it, at least the cotter pin. (if you were in salt land like I am, you would for certain need the nut, too) do not beat on the ballsocket stem on removal, you'll be reusing this piece. ( The part the nut screws onto and seats in the taper) While prying apart the taper, slap the part that the taper locks into,( the part with the hole, not the not the pin that goes through it with your hammer.) Last I knew, lukes links are sold over the web, and cost $75, they work on the long tie rod, as well, and are rebuildable, unlike the ballsocket on the expensive track rods and the long tierods. When you take your factory ballsockets apart, you may be horrified at how cheaply they are made. the lukes link is much higher quality stuff... my 2 pennies worth...

the persuader 06-01-2013 08:40 PM

Check Rock auto for parts, but watch the shipping

richmond 06-05-2013 02:12 AM

98 Ram 1500 steering

I had the same problem on my 98 Ram 1500 4x4. Replaced the Pitman arm and it cured it. Oreilly's Auto Parts $68.00

Richmond

Wh1t3nukle 06-05-2013 10:08 AM

How could it be the pitman arm as it's just a piece of bent metal?!?!?!

The "slop" (which is a relative term here) can be attributed to so many things in the steering linkage.

Given that you have replaced some parts, I'd suggest a proper alignment be done first. Your caster could be off enough that it makes for needing to correct steering often. Additionally, toe-in can also contribute to this.

Start with those things first before looking at large cost items like the gear box. A picture of the gear box and pitman arm would be helpful.

AcadianRam 06-05-2013 11:39 AM

I had a 2003 Dakota and my steering felt like I was standing on a pepsi bottle. Slight move one way or the other and I was all over the place. It was the steering arm that comes out of the fire wall down to the steering box. Replaced it and it was like when I bought it new, I beleive the cost was a hundred and some dollars for the part