DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   I'm now completely stummped. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143883)

Nck 06-02-2013 08:03 AM

I'm now completely stummped.

My truck recently has a clicking noise that increases with speed. but something even worse. Whenever I'm coming out of a turn and only when coming out of a turn. If I give her to much gas, it's like a trans slip but it's not. The rpm's jump up and then something grabs and jerks the truck forward. And the truck is also shifting weird since this all started.
I though maybe it was the yoke but it wasn't, so I'm completely lost.

Nck 06-03-2013 06:22 PM

Where are all the Ram guru's?

02 Ram 06-03-2013 06:30 PM

is it 4WD? if so it could be the CV axles. on my FWD car clicking/clunking up front is 9/10 CV axles

the persuader 06-03-2013 07:47 PM

The 2nd gens don't have CV axles, they're a solid front axle. I was gonna say check your axle u joints, but the jerking/rpm issue has me stumped.

02 Ram 06-03-2013 08:32 PM

gotcha. all ive ever owned were FWD Dodges and this truck

Nck 06-04-2013 06:41 AM

It's not in fwd when it happens. I'm gonna open up the rear diff today to see if it's chewing it self up. and also I'm going to replace the transmission shift solenoid for my erratic shifting.

the persuader 06-04-2013 12:05 PM

It maybe 2 separate issues.

Also, your axle u joints still spin even when you're in 2wd. Mine made a clicking/binding noise when they went bad. I could move my passenger side one by hand with it still on the truck.

Warlock III 06-04-2013 12:10 PM

I didn't want to chime in, because I'm really not sure. If understand what you're saying then very first thing that comes to mind would the torque converter.

I'm pretty sure I understand the symptoms you're describing, and that's what they'd indicate to me. I've always stayed away from transmissions just as much as gynecology. I've looked into them and put my fingers in there, but they're just not something I'm comfortable opening up.

I do know that when you turn, the outside of the vehicle's wheels turn faster than the inside wheels, and that may be enough tension to cause a bad torque converter to disengage. Once straightened out the tension neutralizes and the torque converter could be engaging, causing the jerking sensation without a shift issue. The clicking may be coming from the torque converter.

Any possibility of getting the rear off the ground and putting a little pressure on the drive-train with the e-brake and putting an ear under there to pinpoint the clicking noise?

Admittedly this is merely a suggestion applying mechanical aptitude.

Screamintrashcan 06-04-2013 09:13 PM

Tranny oil level right? Thats all I could attest to the neutral 'jump' thing, the clicking frequency thing I would attest to axle joints, IF it's 4wd... 2 pennies worth...

Nck 06-05-2013 03:30 AM

I cleaned out and changed the oil in the differentials, just in case. i found the clicking noise, it's just bad universal joints like you guys said. For the jerking thing, i am going to look into a bad torque converter as mentioned. I'll keep you guys posted.