DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Forum CANADA (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   3:55 6spd vs 3:21 8spd 1/4 mile test (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143891)

Warwagon 06-02-2013 09:40 AM

3:55 6spd vs 3:21 8spd 1/4 mile test

Okay here goes lol....

I had a 09 sport with the 5 speed and 3:55's, I now have a 13 with the 3:21 and 8 speed combo.
I know the new truck gets out of the hole a LOT faster than my 09 but seems to fall on its face in 3rd gear.

I have enough miles on my truck now I'm willing to make 3 passes for comparison sake at the DRAG STRIP, NOT THE STREET!!!!!

I was in Picton to watch some arm drop drag racing at the old airstrip and a local dealer from that area had a 13 sport with the 6 spd and 3:55's there to promote the trucks.
I couldn't get him to make a couple passes against my truck :smiledown::LOL:

But seriously......

The only mod on my truck is a mufflex 14:smileup:
Anyone in southern ont. willing to make a couple passes at one of the tracks in southern Ontario and put too rest the questions about these different set ups once and for all?????

Please for a FAIR comparison , no other mods than muffler preferred.

If you are willing to make a few passes at the strip , lmk and we can set something up.

JUST TO BE CLEAR!!! I am NOT interested in making this a race truck or adding parts etc after this , this is simply a comparison of the 3:21's vs 3:55

I have a toy and hold a few records in race cars, I know what FAST IS:smileup:

Have no desire to abuse my truck , but I have to know.

I have a AZ lic. And REFUSE to find out the winner on the street in an impromptu race. That's how folks get hurt!

So to my Ontario friends how bout we have a meet at the strip, get together , shoot the $&@" and see for real how quick on of these new 8spd 3:21's really are:box:

Warwagon 06-02-2013 11:35 AM

Anyone??
Cayuga, Grand Bend, St. Thomas , Shannonville...
I'm willing to drive to any of these tracks.
I'm surprised others aren't curious as well??!!

Anyone with a 4th gen. 6 spd 3:55's ?? Willing to make a few wot passes in a safe controlled environment ?

Canadian Hemi Pride 06-02-2013 12:33 PM

Hm.. Might be able to find some people interested with tuners and such on their trucks. I think Friday nights is test and tune and Cayuga drag strip.

compressor man 06-09-2013 08:24 AM

I go up to Cayuga as often as I can, but I am far from stock so I'm not a fair comparison. Just take it up there and run it to see what times it pulls. There isn't a big truck scene here at the track, when I lived in California, there was a great truck scene. What else does your truck have, is it 4x4? What size rim and tire? I have seen most QC 4x4 4th gens on stock 33" Good years run around 15 flat, think that is with the 3:92's. I run low 14's in street trim and high 13's in track trim with a 07 QC 4x4, 3:92's, cammed and tuned with most bolt ons.

Canadian Hemi Pride 06-09-2013 02:44 PM

^ His trucks sounds like it wants to ripp off someones head.

Warwagon 06-09-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by compressor man (Post 1120320)
I go up to Cayuga as often as I can, but I am far from stock so I'm not a fair comparison. Just take it up there and run it to see what times it pulls. There isn't a big truck scene here at the track, when I lived in California, there was a great truck scene. What else does your truck have, is it 4x4? What size rim and tire? I have seen most QC 4x4 4th gens on stock 33" Good years run around 15 flat, think that is with the 3:92's. I run low 14's in street trim and high 13's in track trim with a 07 QC 4x4, 3:92's, cammed and tuned with most bolt ons.

I have been a regular a Cayuga for years ,lol, but not in a Mopar :LOL:
The only import always parked with the mopars:smileup:
But that's a whole other story lol

My truck is STOCK except a magna flow 14"
2013 quad cab 4x4 with 3:21 and 8speed.

I have no interest in drag racing my truck for time slips , simply wanna find out if my new truck is faster than the 09 crew cab 5 spd 3:55 truck I had prior.
I have a 69 Charger for drag racing when I like and my father has a 67 Plymouth belvedere post car that I race as well.

When I traded my 09 for the 13 I THOUGHT I WAS BUYING 3:55 gears but GOT SCREWED and STUCK with 3:21's

Now I'm wondering IF I should just flip it on a 14 with the 3:92's
BUT that's gonna hurt financially :smiledown:

I just would like too see how much IF any performance was lost from switching my 09 5spd for a 13 8spd.
Best way too do that is line up mine with a 09-13 5-6spd with 3:55's and see how bad I get smoked :LOL:

It will help me decide how long I'm keeping it :SHOCKED:

Honestly I think my truck will run high 15's, I have thousands of passes at the strip in various vehicles . At least that's what the butt Dyno says :gy:

I'm crazy busy til the first week of July but would love too meet up with anyone willing to make a couple runs.

Send me a pm and we can set something up :smileup:

Thanks!!

mexi 06-09-2013 07:02 PM

the 8 speed with 3.21 is faster.

compressor man 06-10-2013 07:33 AM

It should get a lot better gas mileage, so if you don't care about it being a drag truck, enjoy the gas mileage increase. It will be on par, within a couple 10ths either way from your old truck, so with your track experience you would probably beat most guys at the tree in similarly equiped vehicles. I regularly take out guys in cars 5/10 or so faster then me, a lot of ground can be made up at the lights.

Warwagon 06-10-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by compressor man (Post 1121083)
It should get a lot better gas mileage, so if you don't care about it being a drag truck, enjoy the gas mileage increase. It will be on par, within a couple 10ths either way from your old truck, so with your track experience you would probably beat most guys at the tree in similarly equiped vehicles. I regularly take out guys in cars 5/10 or so faster then me, a lot of ground can be made up at the lights.

Shoot me a pm next time your heading to the track. Would like to see your truck run:smileup:
My 09 averaged 650kms per tank with the 5spd and 3:55, the 13 is AVERAGING 900kms with the 8spd and 3:21:LOL:
No complaints about the fuel economy lol

Really regretting not having taken my 09 down the track once in all the miles I put on it... Least then I'd have a slip to compare too

Warwagon 06-10-2013 08:48 AM

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/w...os/image-1.jpg