DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Front end quote, I need opinions (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143966)

EskimoDodge 06-03-2013 04:59 AM

Front end quote, I need opinions

So I went to go get an alignment and apparently i need all 4 ball joints replaced, a track bar and my front shocks replaced, all together it would cost $1900 at midas, would it be worth it or should I just go to Napa and buy the parts and find a mechanic to do it privatley?

Swaggerville Ram 06-03-2013 10:37 AM

Depends on a few variables IMO.
You will be able to do it cheaper yourself no doubt, but do you have the time?
What quality of parts are they using?
If you do it yourself can you be without the truck for a weekend?
Do you have the tools? I/e ball joint press

the persuader 06-03-2013 11:31 AM

I was quoted $800 for all 4 ball joints and an alignment. Front end u joints were another $250.

I did my ball joints and axle u joints for about $165 in parts. You'll need a ball joint press and I had to use a torch to heat the knuckles to get them out. Was about 6 hours in labor for that.

EskimoDodge 06-03-2013 05:01 PM

thanks, I think that will be the better option to do, ill get a buddy to help me out, i got a station wagon to get me around (not nearly as cool as the ram though:smiley_thumbs_up:

namretsud 06-03-2013 05:38 PM

Canadian Tire has a loan a tool program for things like ball joint removers. You use you credit card # as collateral until you bring the tool back. No charge unless you don't return it. Rock Auto has a good price for parts and delivery to Canada is cheap when compared to the price for parts that we get hosed with. Example, my dealer wanted to install a new aftermarket hub assembly on my 2007 and cost for the part was going to be $599 + hst whereas I got a Timken hub assy for $139 + shipping. I ordered a couple other parts and shipping was still only bout $50.

the persuader 06-03-2013 07:52 PM

I got the ball joint press from NAPA. They charged my card $265, then credited the amount back when I returned it.

Wh1t3nukle 06-05-2013 09:45 AM

I agree with all the posts above. Do it yourself assuming you are also able to remedy the situation yourself.

Did you have them show you how each part was needing replacement? I always have, if taken to a shop, have them show me exactly why.

I'm surprised they didn't toss in the unit bearings...typically you change those same time as the ball joints.

Ujoints for the axle shafts themselves are not that expensive. You can pull the whole unit bearing and axle shafts out as single unit. I paid a shop to swap the ujoints $30 total. Just carried them over to them.

I don't see any problem going with Napa. Online I went with RockAuto.com for unit bearings (Timken) and Quad4x4.com for balljoints.

I'd leave the track bar alone right now as well as the shocks. Those are easier to deal with compared to the BJs.

dodgert 06-05-2013 09:52 AM

Find out how much if you supply the parts most midas get them from napa maybe you could save a few bucks that way.