DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   05 3500 Overheating (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143975)

Gibson3500 06-03-2013 10:18 AM

05 3500 Overheating

So I have an 05 ram 3500 dually with the 5.9 in it. I also have the banks high rise banks intake and full exhaust. I pull a small excavator 2 or 3 times a week and really notice my overheating issue then. But then even when im not pulling anything it still creeps up past 220 then ac stops blowing cold and I have to roll down windows. I have already replaced the fan clutch the radiator the radiator cap the thermostat and the water pump along with all the hoses and I am still having the same problem. I have put all kinds of money into this problem with no prevail so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

RogerRamJet 06-03-2013 12:46 PM

How is your coolant level? Is the reservoir/radiator staying full? Since you've already replaced everything, my first guess would be you have a flow/circulation problem. Even though you have a new water pump, you could still have some blockage.

Gibson3500 06-06-2013 08:38 AM

My coolant level stays fine right at the line on the res and I checked the radiator hoses with a thermal temp reader and everything is close to the same temps...ive run out of ideas everything has been replaced and my problem just wont fix itself

Cowboy Medic 06-06-2013 09:36 AM

My '99 Diesel did this as well. The blowby tube that comes down on the front of the engine allows oil mist to get on the radiator and over the years there is a surprisingly large amount of dust and dirt that gets collected and plugs up the fins of the radiator. Way more than you would believe if you are looking at it without taking it out of the truck.

The best advise I can give you is to bite the bullet and take the radiator out of the truck and give it a very thorough cleaning. I did this and it acutally only took me about 2 hours total until it was back in the truck and getting the coolant refilled.

Good luck

tjbiker031 06-06-2013 10:23 AM

What type of coolants have you been using in the past? When has the coolant been changed out? Have you verified fan is turning on at operating temp? Cooling fins could be clogged up and need to be cleaned.

Are sure you purged ALL of air out of the system properly?

Gibson3500 06-18-2013 05:27 PM

well I think I have found the problem...after changing out the radiator I guess the fan didn't get put back on right and it isn't spinning at all...the thing the fan screws on to will spin when engine gets to temp but fan wont spin im not sure if this happened recently or not because what led me to look at the fan was the fact that my truck temp started pegging into the red with in the last week...im thinking im gonna have to take it to dodge tomorrow and pay an arm and a leg

RogerRamJet 06-18-2013 09:36 PM

Sorry to hear that, Gibson. I hate going to Dodge for anything, mostly because it does cost an arm and a leg. Let us know how it turns out.

scrappy 06-19-2013 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowboy Medic (Post 1118129)
My '99 Diesel did this as well. The blowby tube that comes down on the front of the engine allows oil mist to get on the radiator and over the years there is a surprisingly large amount of dust and dirt that gets collected and plugs up the fins of the radiator. Way more than you would believe if you are looking at it without taking it out of the truck.

The best advise I can give you is to bite the bullet and take the radiator out of the truck and give it a very thorough cleaning. I did this and it acutally only took me about 2 hours total until it was back in the truck and getting the coolant refilled.

Good luck

the '05 does not use the same system and is not suseptible to this like a second gen.

OP, the fan not turning doesn't necessarily mean anything, the fan is mechanically driven but electronically controlled. it will not engage unless commanded by the ECM. Have you looked at the wiring harness that runs from the fan hub in front of the fan to the bottom right side of the fan shroud? if that harness is damaged/not connected you will have no fan. have you checked for codes?
p0480 is a fan fault(IIRC)

philll48 10-07-2013 01:02 AM

i bought my truck off ebay
flew down to Fla. to pick it up
got a good deal
and i found out why
half way back home in Mo
started to heat up
put water in it and had to repeat about every 200 miles
took about two weeks to figure out that there is 2 small hose on a heat ex changer down by the starter
replaced them with new clamps not easy but fixed it took it through the desert 15 months ago temp over 105 no problems
i think that heat exchanger is also a trans heater for in the winter time
oil has to be over 60 degrees for it to shift properly

RogerRamJet 10-07-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philll48 (Post 1216006)
i bought my truck off ebay
flew down to Fla. to pick it up
got a good deal
and i found out why
half way back home in Mo
started to heat up
put water in it and had to repeat about every 200 miles
took about two weeks to figure out that there is 2 small hose on a heat ex changer down by the starter
replaced them with new clamps not easy but fixed it took it through the desert 15 months ago temp over 105 no problems
i think that heat exchanger is also a trans heater for in the winter time
oil has to be over 60 degrees for it to shift properly

Voonderbar! Good find. Thanks for sharing.