DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   POLL - What would you do? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=143991)

ONOutdoorsman 06-03-2013 01:29 PM

POLL - What would you do?

I have a problem. I have encountered the first "real" issue with my truck. The right front shock is leaking. I am very anal about things. If someone else HAS to work on my truck then I am very particular. I'm sure there are quite a few of us like this. So, I have 3 options:

1. Have dealer replace shock under warranty

2. I replace single shock with OEM

3. I replace both shocks with Bilstein 5100s and level my truck a bit

I tried to initiate option #1 today. I called my dealer and another dealer and I was on hold for 5 minutes with my dealer's service dept (never talked with anyone) and got voice mail for another dealer so I'm kinda pissed about that. My next option is to see if I can find an OEM shock at a decent price. I would like to do option #3 but I really don't want to spend the $200 right now but I really don't want someone else doing the work. It's a pickle.

What would you do?

brandonjansen 06-03-2013 03:19 PM

Well right away I would take option 2 off the table. If you're going to spend any money at all you might as well do it right, spend the money, get the Bilsteins and level your truck. Which is personally what I would do. Leveled looks so much better than stock IMO and Bilsteins are a great way to level. Plus then you'll have slightly better ride quality as well which is always nice.

If you really don't want to spend any money at all, then get the dealership to replace it under warranty.

Iqudayo 06-03-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONOutdoorsman (Post 1115190)
I have a problem. I have encountered the first "real" issue with my truck. The right front shock is leaking. I am very anal about things. If someone else HAS to work on my truck then I am very particular. I'm sure there are quite a few of us like this. So, I have 3 options:

1. Have dealer replace shock under warranty

2. I replace single shock with OEM

3. I replace both shocks with Bilstein 5100s and level my truck a bit

I tried to initiate option #1 today. I called my dealer and another dealer and I was on hold for 5 minutes with my dealer's service dept (never talked with anyone) and got voice mail for another dealer so I'm kinda pissed about that. My next option is to see if I can find an OEM shock at a decent price. I would like to do option #3 but I really don't want to spend the $200 right now but I really don't want someone else doing the work. It's a pickle.

What would you do?

I would go with option 3. after the experience I have now with Bilstein it's an upgrade. get together with Andrew from Bully Performance they will help you out
:smiley_thumbs_up:

RogerRamJet 06-03-2013 05:27 PM

Definitely option #3, the Bilstein's. You won't be sorry!

rango88 06-03-2013 05:31 PM

I'd get the bilsteins off the bat. I have them on mine and they are great shocks, since they need to be replaced might as well bite the $200 bullet (if you can) and get it done right. No point putting another set of shocks and then 2-3 years down the road replace them with bilsteins anyways.

JB2012ram1500 06-03-2013 05:35 PM

if money isnt an issue and you are going to level it do it right and get the Bilstein 5100s. unless money is tight then get the dealer to do it

namretsud 06-03-2013 05:47 PM

If you can talk to the service manager and try to swing a deal. Get the Bilsteins and have them install for the warranty service cost and you get the shocks you want and they do the labour and charge it out to the warranty replacement. Win Win if he would do it for you.

Asur 06-03-2013 05:59 PM

I agree with everyone about the Bilsteins, you might not be ready for them but.....

I would get the 5100's

GrayhemiST 06-03-2013 06:11 PM

You paid for that warranty....i'd wait until the warranty was up, then get new shocks if its that important

Hermes1 06-04-2013 01:00 AM

I voted #3 also