DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   tuners and towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144019)

ryan69 06-03-2013 06:33 PM

tuners and towing

I have a 2011 ram 1500 with the hemi and have had no problems so far, however I recently bought a 6000 lb fifth wheel. When I pull the trailer she dosent want to shift so I end up reving over 3000 rpm all the time so that would be 4th gear. If I'd get a tuner would that make my truck grab another gear?

brandonjansen 06-03-2013 06:45 PM

Is there a problem with running it over 3000 RPM? I'm assuming you're using the tow/haul button when towing... that will keep the truck from shifting sooner. The idea is to keep the truck up in the power. The max power and torque on these trucks is somewhere around 4300 RPM I believe. It's not a diesel where it has a lot of low end torque.

Honestly a tuner will probably keep it from shifting even longer. Again, trying to keep the truck in the power.

ryan69 06-03-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1115542)
Is there a problem with running it over 3000 RPM? I'm assuming you're using the tow/haul button when towing... that will keep the truck from shifting sooner. The idea is to keep the truck up in the power. The max power and torque on these trucks is somewhere around 4300 RPM I believe. It's not a diesel where it has a lot of low end torque.

Honestly a tuner will probably keep it from shifting even longer. Again, trying to keep the truck in the power.

Well...I was expecting to be in 5th gear (it is a 6 speed trans). The lower the rpm the higher the mpg's. some tuners say that they change the shift points, I was wondering witch way they change the shift points or if there is any out there where the shift points are fully customizable enabling me to make changes on the fly and save $ on gas.

brandonjansen 06-03-2013 07:14 PM

Pulling that much weight you will rarely see 5th gear if not ever.

The lower the RPM the higher the MPG claim is not entirely true either.... Say you drove a standard and put it into 6th gear to tow, you would be dumping so much fuel into it just to try and keep it moving not to mention you would be knocking like crazy.

The computers on these trucks know what gear you need to be in based on the load. You can't just shove it in a higher gear and expect it to move, it doesn't work like that. Yes with a tuner you can change shift points but no matter what your truck is never going to do what you're saying you want it to do. You could change them to be as low as you want on the tuner but if the truck doesn't think it should shift, it won't.

Again, you have to remember you're driving a V8 Hemi, not a diesel. And you're pulling a 6000 pound trailer, good fuel economy just isn't going to happen....

ryan69 06-03-2013 08:27 PM

So what can I do to get optimum gas mileage while towing?
I think I want to get a bully dog or trinity tuner.
Just cant decide witch tuner will best suite my needs. Does either have a towing tune? or does everyone just use the performance tune for towing?
Does anyone else out there pull 6000lbs with there half tons? Or am I the only one that dosent want to spend a pile more and get a diesel?

snrusnak 06-03-2013 10:33 PM

At what speed are you cruising at? I find it a little weird that your hemi is not shifting to 5th with 6000 lb. I towed about 4000 lb this spring with my 4.7L and it cruised in 5th pretty easy. This was at about 70mph.

ryan69 06-03-2013 10:43 PM

i usually drive 70 mph. I tried going faster and slower to see how the truck reacted...she just stuck to 4th weather i was going up hill or on the flat, down hill it would go into 5th then when its leveled out back to 4th.

Gantman 06-03-2013 11:19 PM

ryan69, what rear end gear does your Ram have? And also what kind of terrain are we talking here? If mostly hilly, then your 3000rpm's in 4th gear, towing 6000+lbs sounds close.

ryan69 06-03-2013 11:28 PM

3.92 gears the ground hilly but long flat stretches, plenty of time for it to shift up.

brandonjansen 06-04-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan69 (Post 1115643)
So what can I do to get optimum gas mileage while towing?
I think I want to get a bully dog or trinity tuner.
Just cant decide witch tuner will best suite my needs. Does either have a towing tune? or does everyone just use the performance tune for towing?
Does anyone else out there pull 6000lbs with there half tons? Or am I the only one that dosent want to spend a pile more and get a diesel?

I have the Bully Dog and I know it doesn't have a towing tune. Just stock, regular and premium. I'm not sure if the Trinity has a towing tune or not....

I know you definitely don't want to tow on a performance tune. The performance tune advances the timing too much which will give you horrible knocking when towing a significant amount of weight.