DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   newbie with 2nd question (rear main seal) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144024)

beachbumtroy 06-03-2013 07:09 PM

newbie with 2nd question (rear main seal)
 
ok guys had the rear main seal replaced buy a craigslist mechanic now its leaking worse:( anyway he said he had to lower the crank cause he couldnt get the top half of the seal out,and now im re-doing it myself so my questions are....exactly which way does the seal go? i havent seen it yet but was told the cupped side goes towards the motor? and what is the rod bearing torque and order,so i can make sure he did it right if at all,i`m hoping that i can get the old seal out and new one in the way it was intended should have did it myself to begin with just wasnt sure i could handle it now i dont want anybody else to screw it up lol thnx guys for any and all help. p.s its a 99 1500 ram 5.2 motor thnx

ramvan2500 06-03-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbumtroy (Post 1115567)
ok guys had the rear main seal replaced buy a craigslist mechanic now its leaking worse:( anyway he said he had to lower the crank cause he couldnt get the top half of the seal out,and now im re-doing it myself so my questions are....exactly which way does the seal go? i havent seen it yet but was told the cupped side goes towards the motor? and what is the rod bearing torque and order,so i can make sure he did it right if at all,i`m hoping that i can get the old seal out and new one in the way it was intended should have did it myself to begin with just wasnt sure i could handle it now i dont want anybody else to screw it up lol thnx guys for any and all help. p.s its a 99 1500 ram 5.2 motor thnx

You hired an idiot, not a mechanic. He shouldn't of had to lower the crank, matter fact it is bad he did because you are probably going to have bearing issues down the road. He should have used a drift punch and just give it a light tap so the other end of the seal sneaks out, then use your needle nose to grab the seal and pull around the circumference of the shaft. Idiots! The new seal should have instructions included that tell you which direct the seal goes, I believe it is white side out. The point is to make sure that the larger lip is inward so the oil pressure can seal the lip onto the shaft. Make sure that you put a very small amount, I mean small like half a baby pee sized of Black RTV sealant on the space between the seal outer edge and the end cap. As for torque specs I don't remember those off the top of my head and I have them on my other computer but it is too much of a hassle, if you google you can find them in the blink of an eye. Or on this site http://dodgeram.info/ Anyways, this is bad because one idiot on craigslist can ruin it for all the mechanics on craigslist. I am not a mechanic by profession I am actually a mechanical engineering student right now, but I put ads on craigslist as a mechanic so I can make enough money to pay for gas to commute between home and school but also to pay for all the parts and stuff for my ram. The difference between me and everyone else on craigslist is that I actually know what I am doing.

beachbumtroy 06-03-2013 08:30 PM

rear main
 
unfortunately now i know he`s an idiot lol, because i knew enough not to pull the crank but he had already done it.... anyway thnx for the tips and links and just in case he is houdinis auto repair in pinellas park florida,now that i think about it should have stayed away from the name huh? oh well live and learn thnx

ramvan2500 06-03-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbumtroy (Post 1115650)
unfortunately now i know he`s an idiot lol, because i knew enough not to pull the crank but he had already done it.... anyway thnx for the tips and links and just in case he is houdinis auto repair in pinellas park florida,now that i think about it should have stayed away from the name huh? oh well live and learn thnx

Good idea that you put his name up on the web so people know to stay away. What I was saying before though is that I have ads in the auto repair section of craigslist because I fix and modify cars and trucks for pocket money, like I said before. Yea the name should of gave it away, what is wrong with you? :P Anyways though, if you ever do want to get a repair done and done properly you can always bring it to me. I like to help out people who need to save a buck but want a quality job.

beachbumtroy 06-03-2013 08:43 PM

well im going to try it myself tomorrow but if all else fails pm or email me ur number and where ur at im in st.pete thnx troy

ramvan2500 06-03-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachbumtroy (Post 1115661)
well im going to try it myself tomorrow but if all else fails pm or email me ur number and where ur at im in st.pete thnx troy

Well good luck, just be sure to make sure everything is torqued properly, this is the most important element. I'm PM my info just for good measure.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger