DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Bone Stock on a rough beach. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144157)

Audacious 06-05-2013 12:24 AM

Bone Stock on a rough beach.

So tomorrow I'm taking my Ram out on the beach near me. I am bone stock 4x4 Regular Cab Ram 1500 Express with the Hemi. Now I did go on the beach the other day for like 10 minutes and it was so soft. I mean it was fluff. My truck was struggling.

That being said I was in 4WD Hi aired down to only about 22 ish +/- (I need to get a more accurate gauge).

Anyone have any tips for a stock truck? I'm not to sure how low these tires can go. 33's on 20 inch rims I don't wanna roll off. Also you think it would be better to drop it into 4Lo if my truck was struggling in 4 high?

gonefishin776 06-05-2013 08:07 AM

hmmm. Wish I could help ya on the air pressure recommendation.

I took my stock ram (when it was stock) on the beach in 4LO and it did fine. Just remember don't go above the recommended speed for 4lo. 25? maybe even less, I can't remember. the sand wasn't TERRIBLY soft..but soft enough.

dodgert 06-05-2013 08:54 AM

I myself would stay off took a 4x4 on the beach in fla and buried that bitch lol.

Edokdyshi 06-05-2013 10:36 AM

I haven't been out on the beach yet with my Ram yet, but on my other trucks I usually air down to less then 20 PSI. I know the more ya air down the easier it is on the truck. Don't really need 4WL, I have only ever used it to get out of being stuck.

Audacious 06-05-2013 11:07 AM

Yeah I was gonna try like 18 psi. I'm a little scared tho. My old Dakota we used to do that but it had 16 inch rims and 31.5 inch tires. This is 20 inch rims with 33 inch tires. Not to mention they are low ply. I don't wanna roll off the bead.

TRCM 06-05-2013 08:47 PM

Don't drive like a crazy man, and you won't roll off the bead.

gs283020 06-05-2013 09:19 PM

Live on Long Island as well. The sand is very soft on most of the beaches here. When I was running stock tires I was running 18 on the stock tires with stock 20inchers remember the things not to do in the sand are the things you don't want to do with soft tires. Sudden acceleration, stopping or turns. It buries that way. Steady throttle and just maintain momementum. You should be fine. I was running that with a quad cab so you should be fine in the express being lighter as well.

Where is it you drive out at here on the island? Surf fishing?

Audacious 06-06-2013 08:57 PM

I used to go out to Smith Point inlet but since sandy Burma road is pretty much gone. Another question. When I'm driving I always get like vibration or grinding in my front end when my tires slip a little. I'm assuming this is traction control and abs. Is there anyway to get rid of that. It happens in 4wd high, maybe lo will disable it.

gs283020 06-06-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audacious (Post 1118786)
I used to go out to Smith Point inlet but since sandy Burma road is pretty much gone. Another question. When I'm driving I always get like vibration or grinding in my front end when my tires slip a little. I'm assuming this is traction control and abs. Is there anyway to get rid of that. It happens in 4wd high, maybe lo will disable it.

Yeah I would get that a lot too in 4x4 high. Yes, putting it in 4lo will disable the traction control. I like running 4lo in the soft sand anyways just because it seems to not have to work as hard and there is always power there. Also you really don't have to You don't want to go over 25 anyways with low psi in the tires.

Again, this is just from my experience. There are much more serious off roaders in this forum that can chime in.

Hemi N Haw 06-07-2013 07:34 PM

Hey pal enjoy the sand as I do w/ my ram. I usually run at 20-22 psi on stock rubber w/ stock 20 in rims. I run her in sport shifted into 6th gear w/ 4wheel on hi & traction control shut off. I stop slowly & I accelerate slowly & make wide as possible turns. I have yet to have any issues w/ this style & love the beach. I also since I have O.C.D. issues love the many beers & cleaning that follows the return home to get all the salt of it.
:LOL: