DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   seal (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144171)

dschutz1979 06-05-2013 11:26 AM

seal

How hard is it change the seal on the rear driverside axle? How long does it take?

crazzywolfie 06-05-2013 11:59 AM

i don't think it is that hard but it can be a bit time consuming. you have to drain the differential, take the cover off and take both rear tires and drums off. then you have to remove the pinion shaft lock bolt. then carefully remove the pinion shaft from the differential carrier. don't turn the axle or carrier after the pinion shaft has been removed or the pinion gears may fall out. than push the axle flange in and remove the c lock from the inner end of the axle shaft. then they should just slide out. then you can use a big screw driver to remove the old seal and a socket or piece of pipe to install the new one unless you have the correct seal installation tool. then you just re assemble it in reverse order.

RogerRamJet 06-05-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dschutz1979 (Post 1117191)
How hard is it change the seal on the rear driverside axle? How long does it take?

Not hard at all, if you have the correct tools and know what you're doing. It can get messy though and it would be a real PITA if you try to do it on the ground. It can be done, but on a lift is much easier. On a lift, it takes about an hour, maybe 90 minutes if you've got a stubborn seal that doesn't want to come out.

Warlock III 06-05-2013 12:48 PM

Bear in mind however, it is MY experience that if the seal is leaking there is or has been axle shaft movement caused by a worn axle shaft bearing. I would highly recommend checking it for play and wear on the axle shaft.

dschutz1979 06-05-2013 01:26 PM

I was looking at it this morning and the is a tiny amount of play in and out but not up or down back or forth.

Warlock III 06-05-2013 01:36 PM

Depending on a "tiny" I'd check the axle for wear once you have it out. Check on the price while you have it apart just for S&G. You wouldn't want to have to do it again in 2/3 months.

There is a replacement bearing called an axle saver that is slightly offset and has a seal built in. I don't recommend it if you're going to keep the truck.

The bearing on the other-hand is something to consider since it will be apart.

RogerRamJet 06-06-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dschutz1979 (Post 1117296)
I was looking at it this morning and the is a tiny amount of play in and out but not up or down back or forth.

A tiny amount of in and out play is normal. And you probably wouldn't feel the lateral movement even if there was some. Warlock is correct in that seals usually don't start leaking just because someone hurt its feelings, there is a cause and the leak is the effect. It's actually easier to pull the bearing because the seal will come with it. I mean, if you already have the axle out, you might as well replace the bearing as well. For that matter, since you have the pumpkin open and drained, might as well pull the other axle and replace that bearing as well. Not really necessary, but since you're there...

Warlock III 06-06-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRamJet (Post 1118000)
A tiny amount of in and out play is normal. And you probably wouldn't feel the lateral movement even if there was some. Warlock is correct in that seals usually don't start leaking just because someone hurt its feelings, there is a cause and the leak is the effect. It's actually easier to pull the bearing because the seal will come with it. I mean, if you already have the axle out, you might as well replace the bearing as well. For that matter, since you have the pumpkin open and drained, might as well pull the other axle and replace that bearing as well. Not really necessary, but since you're there...

^^ I agree ^^ It's a little more direct than the way I put it and I couldn't have said it better myself. That was an oversight on my part.