DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Wheel Spacers? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144237)

dmac101 06-06-2013 12:17 AM

Wheel Spacers?

was thining about installing some wheel spacers on my 2012 ram 1500. i have 3.75 lift,i have aftermarket fuel rims with a +1 mm offset. but would like to make them stick out a little more. will a wheel spacer do what i want? so if i went with a quarter inch wheel spacer would add about 6mm ? so i would have a -5 offset with the wheel spacers and my rims roughly is this correct. and are wheel spacer safe?

Also any pictures of your guys wheel spacer on or off truck would be appreciated
thanks

gonefishin776 06-06-2013 07:10 AM

you should be fine with just a 1/4" spacer. it'll bring your wheels out....1/4"

or invest in some wheels with the offset you want

starquestbd22 06-06-2013 08:37 AM

The wheel spacers will do exactly what you are wanting. Whether it will bring them out far enough to satisfy you though, I dunno. But it will give you the appearance of having -5 offset wheels just like you said.

1/4" wheel spacers are extremely safe and shouldn't cause any additional wear on the suspension. The only chance of a problem is if you use the cheaper universal slip-on spacers (~$30). If not properly centered on the hub, the can cause vibration issues. Plenty of folks run them without issues though so for the price I say it's worth trying. Worst case scenario, you can buy a set of custom hubcentric spacers from Motorsports Technologies that will eliminate the problem. Last I heard I think those were running $125, give or take.

SK-Ram 06-06-2013 09:08 AM

Yup as others have said, 1/4" spacers are very common and you'll be good to go.

dmac101 06-06-2013 01:54 PM

Doesn't anyone know what some good brand to get
Are

battlerattle 06-06-2013 07:59 PM

Dont cheap out with sandwhich style. By the bolt on spacers so you know your are centered and secure.

spidertrax d o t c o m

starquestbd22 06-06-2013 09:03 PM

I don't think there are any bolt-on 1/4" spacers. Bolt-on spacers are going to have to be pretty big....at least an inch, maybe an inch and a half. I wouldn't go there myself. The only options in 1/4" spacers are the universal slip-on kind or the hub and lug centric ones. The hub and lug centric are still slip-on spacers, not bolt-on. They are just precisely bored to be an exact fit over your truck's hub (hub centric) and/or lugs (lug centric).

battlerattle 06-06-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starquestbd22 (Post 1118792)
I don't think there are any bolt-on 1/4" spacers. Bolt-on spacers are going to have to be pretty big....at least an inch, maybe an inch and a half. I wouldn't go there myself. The only options in 1/4" spacers are the universal slip-on kind or the hub and lug centric ones. The hub and lug centric are still slip-on spacers, not bolt-on. They are just precisely bored to be an exact fit over your truck's hub (hub centric) and/or lugs (lug centric).

Problem with the sandwich style is you loose that distance in thread engagement on the lugs. These trucks aren't like the old school with plenty of extra threads. Though I don't see a failure as likely, there is to much risk if it does happen (think automatic fault in an accident).

starquestbd22 06-06-2013 11:16 PM

From what I have read our trucks do actually have plenty of stud left for the lug to grab onto with a 1/4" spacer. That's not based on any actual experience on my part though, simply what I have read from other members. There are several members that run 1/4" spacers and aside from the rare vibration issue I haven't heard of any problems. If the OP is looking for at least an inch of extra rim and tire sticking out then I guess bolt-ons are an option but I personally don't like the extra strain and wear that moving the rims out that far creates.

Me personally, I would pick up a cheap set of the universal slip-ons and see if they give you the look you want. If not, chunk em. If they give you the look but you get any sort of vibration or if you simply want the piece of mind of having the best 1/4" spacers out there, pick up a set from Motorsports Technologies. I should mention that the price estimate I stated earlier is for two spacers, not four. And another tip....if you do go with the spacers just make sure you periodically recheck the lug torque. It's cheap and easy prevention.

battlerattle 06-07-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starquestbd22 (Post 1118913)
From what I have read our trucks do actually have plenty of stud left for the lug to grab onto with a 1/4" spacer. That's not based on any actual experience on my part though, simply what I have read from other members. There are several members that run 1/4" spacers and aside from the rare vibration issue I haven't heard of any problems. If the OP is looking for at least an inch of extra rim and tire sticking out then I guess bolt-ons are an option but I personally don't like the extra strain and wear that moving the rims out that far creates.

Me personally, I would pick up a cheap set of the universal slip-ons and see if they give you the look you want. If not, chunk em. If they give you the look but you get any sort of vibration or if you simply want the piece of mind of having the best 1/4" spacers out there, pick up a set from Motorsports Technologies. I should mention that the price estimate I stated earlier is for two spacers, not four. And another tip....if you do go with the spacers just make sure you periodically recheck the lug torque. It's cheap and easy prevention.

On my Power Wagon, when fully torqued the stud is about 1.5 threads beyond the top of the nut. A loss of 1/4" would even allow the stud to fully engage the length of the nut. My 1500 had the standard acorn style closed nut, so its only a guess, but I don't see it being much different.

In the end its up to you guys, just a risk I wouldn't take. Lots of other options out there. Now that said, if you have 2-3" long studs.....go for it, as long as the nut fully engages!