DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   You are not going to believe this (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144299)

RichardsonMedia 06-06-2013 07:47 PM

You are not going to believe this

I will make it as quick as I can -

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7. It started running hot - so I started working my way through the system. Ended up with a new radiator - fan clutch - water pump - thermostat - radiator cap. Still ran hot.

One day it ran so hot that - by the time i got off the road - it would not start. so now a have a reman engine in it with 3200 miles. (Had 114K when i put the new engine in)

So - in replacing the engine they guy took off the a/c compressor. i just got the a/c charged yesterday - and now the truck is overheating again - unless i run the heater.

when all of this started - it got to a point where i had to run the heater all the time to keep it from overheating - then it got worse. so it seems like im at that stage again... just waiting for it to get worse.

What could be causing it to overheat? i burped it yesterday - and could see the coolant moving in the radiator. the radiator does not have any cold spots. one odd thing is when it does get hot - and i have to turn the heater on - it does not really seem very hot. sometimes the heater is extremely hot - but not when the truck is running hot.

anyone want to buy a truck with a new motor? ....cheap :)

GTyankee 06-06-2013 08:05 PM

I think that i would find a real radiator shop
not a shop that also does radiators

have them check it out & give you a opinion
If they say that you need to get it cleaned out, they could be saying that you need to get a regular flush, or cleaned out with Steam
Actually i would have them inspect it & get an opinion
if they say that it needs some work
Pull the radiator yourself & give it to them
Let them ROD it out, which involves removing the tanks & running a flat rod through the water passages of the radiator core, then they put it all back together & usually paint it.
You then put it back in your vehicle & likely never have to worry about it again
IF on the off chance they can't fix the issue, try to get a new CORE through the radiator shop, not from your local parts store

Good Luck

MOFOGO 06-06-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardsonMedia (Post 1118639)
I will make it as quick as I can -

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 4.7. It started running hot - so I started working my way through the system. Ended up with a new radiator - fan clutch - water pump - thermostat - radiator cap. Still ran hot.

One day it ran so hot that - by the time i got off the road - it would not start. so now a have a reman engine in it with 3200 miles. (Had 114K when i put the new engine in)

So - in replacing the engine they guy took off the a/c compressor. i just got the a/c charged yesterday - and now the truck is overheating again - unless i run the heater.
If I understand correctly, you had no overheating with the A/C removed? And is that with the compressor OR the compressor belt off? Then with it reinstalled the overheating comes back? If so, I'd look at the clutch on the compressor to be sure it is engaging / dis-engaging properly and not creating excessive drag.
when all of this started - it got to a point where i had to run the heater all the time to keep it from overheating - then it got worse. so it seems like im at that stage again... just waiting for it to get worse. Also check your idler pulley, any drag on the pump drive can cause these kinds of problems.
What could be causing it to overheat? i burped it yesterday - and could see the coolant moving in the radiator. the radiator does not have any cold spots. one odd thing is when it does get hot - and i have to turn the heater on - it does not really seem very hot. sometimes the heater is extremely hot - but not when the truck is running hot.

anyone want to buy a truck with a new motor? ....cheap :)

If I understand correctly, you had no overheating with the A/C removed? And is that with the compressor or A/C belt off? Then with it re-installed the overheating comes back? If so I'd look at the clutch on the compressor to be sure it is engaging / dis-engaging properly and not creating excessive drag. And are you using a temp. gauge that you know is accurate? Also look for a collapsing radiator hose, I had this happen once and it took forever to catch. Good luck!

JWM59 06-06-2013 08:29 PM

If heater is blowing cool when engine is hot sounds like a flow problem to me. Did they put the old pump on the new motor?. May be defective.

Asur 06-06-2013 08:32 PM

Definitely have a flow problem if the heater blows cold. Could be your heater core is finished and its not allowing proper flow through the engine.

PaulMys 06-06-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOFOGO (Post 1118661)
If I understand correctly, you had no overheating with the A/C removed? And is that with the compressor or A/C belt off? Then with it re-installed the overheating comes back? If so I'd look at the clutch on the compressor to be sure it is engaging / dis-engaging properly and not creating excessive drag. And are you using a temp. gauge that you know is accurate? Also look for a collapsing radiator hose, I had this happen once and it took forever to catch. Good luck!

X2 on the collapsed hose. I have seen this more than once. Also, are you losing any coolant? Are you running a 50/50 mix, or have you thinned it down to mostly water? Any antifreeze smell?

RichardsonMedia 06-06-2013 09:10 PM

thanks

the waterpump is new
the radiator is new
I didnt look,at the bottom hose but the top is fine
50/50 mix
not Losing coolant

the heat blows hot sometims. could there be an intermittent flow problem with the heater core? yesterday when I was burping it I had the motor running with the cap off. I could see the water churning.

if it were a flow problem turning on the heater would not make the engine get cooler would it

this really has me confused

RichardsonMedia 06-06-2013 10:46 PM

also

I forgot.to mention that the heater does.gurgle.sometimes

JWM59 06-07-2013 06:56 AM

If hoses are fine I'm still leaning toward pump. Maybe a bad batch out there. If it has a gasket make sure holes are where they are suppose to be and they are open. Try running without thermostat to see if that is the problem also. I have put quite a few new parts on vehicles only to find out they are defective.

RichardsonMedia 06-07-2013 07:23 PM

How would I check the lower hose?

Upper hose seems fine. can I just crawl under there and rev the engine and look for buckling?

The hose is about the only thing I have not replaced. That and heater core.