DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Not your usual Bakflip question I promise. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144329)

RedSmart 06-07-2013 02:23 AM

Not your usual Bakflip question I promise.

So I have been looking and trying to come up with a cover for my truck, but just today somebody mentioned something to me that I had never thought of.

They said that they had a Bakflip cover which worked great with all sorts of weather conditions, load conditions, opening and closing, but what they hand't counted on was how easy it was to break into?

Apparently a smart thief and a coat hanger can be in the back of your truck in no time flat.

So that got me wondering if this has ever happened to anybody here, and just how true was that statement?

I know that soft covers can be sliced open in seconds, but what about break in's on these?

DarthRam 06-07-2013 10:51 AM

I do not have a Bakflip but I have had my truck broken into. The thief smashed the back window and stole a GPS, sunglasses, and the monitor for my backup camera.

The moral of the story is if they want to get in they will get in. Nothing short of an armored car is going to keep your stuff 100% safe.

gcscott 06-07-2013 04:33 PM

My stock cover you can put padlocks on all 4 corner clamps. Also I don't keep anything in my truck to steel.

Hermes1 06-07-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthRam (Post 1119070)

The moral of the story is if they want to get in they will get in. Nothing short of an armored car is going to keep your stuff 100% safe.

:smileup: This is very true. Looking at my F1, it appears it would not be as easy as a coat hanger. Probably take quite a bit more effort & time.

RedSmart 06-08-2013 01:02 AM

I was told that all they did was lift up the weather strip that rests on the tailgate, slide in a coat hanger and grab the wire and pull?

I don't know how hard or easy that would be, but I suspect that with all the people on here banging on about how good the Bakflip's are, that it likely doesn't happen too often.

The only thing that I would keep in there would be my hockey equipment, and that would only be for a few hours after a game when I hit the pub for some snacks.

DarthRam 06-08-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes1 (Post 1119295)
:smileup: This is very true. Looking at my F1, it appears it would not be as easy as a coat hanger. Probably take quite a bit more effort & time.

Probably true, but what if they just used a pry bar and popped it open? Remember, thieves aren't going to worry if they damage a cover or render it useless.

Hermes1 06-08-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthRam (Post 1119622)
Probably true, but what if they just used a pry bar and popped it open? Remember, thieves aren't going to worry if they damage a cover or render it useless.

I would agree. In fact the dealer who installed my F1, said the only one he has replaced was do to a thief who did quite a bit of damage to the F1 as well as the truck. So nothing will stop a determined thief, no question.

spoiler 06-08-2013 10:37 AM

I'm looking at my backflip VP and that statement is not true- At least not the coat hanger part- It would be easier to break into the truck than unhinge the backflip.

Canadian Hemi Pride 06-08-2013 09:07 PM

Unless you have an aftermarket alarm system which is very sensitive to motion.. A thief could bust into anything.. Soft=cut open, Hard= pry up, Topper cap=pry/break open a window, Locking tailgate=pop out the lock, standard tailgate=Open it. If you have a slider window they can just stick something in and pop open the latch or knock it out. Same as any vehicle.. If a thief knows what they are doing.. No vehicle is truly safe. Only advantage with my truck is that they will go deaf trying to steal anything with my truck horn and aftermarket alarm horn going off. Gotta love alarm systems.:LOL:

Butter 06-08-2013 10:39 PM

Any bed cover is easy to break into, a pry bar is all thats needed!