DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Alarm sounded, what did I do wrong? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144334)

danstanford 06-07-2013 06:21 AM

Alarm sounded, what did I do wrong?

Just loading all my stuff into the console and ramboxes when I thought I would see if I could start my new 13 without the fob. I went out with the key and unlocked her via the lock in the door handle but when I opened the door that damned alarm went off. Without the fob I couldn't turn it off till I ran back and got the fob.

What did I do wrong?

nikeman 06-07-2013 09:00 AM

The keys are mainly for unlocking the door if you lose power and power locks won't work. The alarm arms with the door locks also. You can't start the truck with just the key either. There is a built in key in the fob itself also, assuming you do not have keyless enter and go.

gcscott 06-07-2013 09:09 AM

Hi,

Yea, I did the same thing, opened the door with the key and the alarm went off. Hurried and put the key in the ignition and could not turn off the alarm. I had to run in and get the remote and press the unlock button.

I am glad it wasn't early in the morning. Getting to learn some of the new features and surprises.

Asur 06-07-2013 09:15 AM

Yup, the remote entry system with the FOB controls the Alarm, Also I think if you manually lock the door after some time it initializes the alarm automatically, you need the FOB to disengage the Alarm so it does not sound.

rb10475 06-07-2013 11:20 AM

Wow, I never realized there was a key built into the fab. Thanks!

benajohnson 06-07-2013 03:32 PM

So I take it unless you are keeping an extra FOB inside the cab, a hideaway key is almost pointless because you can't start your truck with the key?

Asur 06-07-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benajohnson (Post 1119243)
So I take it unless you are keeping an extra FOB inside the cab, a hideaway key is almost pointless because you can't start your truck with the key?

The key is really to get into the truck and pop the hood if you have issues like battery died, or you need to get shit out of the truck cause its dead and going to the dealer, stuff like that, many don't have the auto lock on the tailgate also, so the key will unlock that and allow you to get to your stuff.

Pantherjoe 06-07-2013 04:11 PM

I did the same thing the second day I had the truck. That is a crazy setup with the only being able to start the truck with the key fob. Salesman told me that to replace the key fob is extremely expensive.
You can tell if the alarm is set by a small red blinking light behind, I think tha tach gauge needle, but it is in a bad position to see it clearly... For theft deterrent purposes.

GTyankee 06-07-2013 04:12 PM

I know that with my Ancient 2009 Ram
I have to insert my FOB into the ignition to Start & Run it
in the Fob there is a battery & small printed circuit board with a Memory Chip
On the big end of the FOB, there is a little slider that holds the SENTRY Key in place
The Sentry Key can be used in my Drivers side door & Tailgate Locking mechanism

with this type of setup, some people were breaking off the tip of the FOB, i believe that was in the 2008 & earlier models
a person had to get the broken piece out of the ignition switch & use their spare fob, if they had one handy, i heard that if it was not handy, there is another way to get the Ram started, you could take something like a popsicle stick or a small finger & push the wire in there forward & then turn the switch to the start/run position, the broken FOB had to be close to the switch

I believe that there is another type of key that can be used in place of the FOB, i have not seen one in person, i will see if i can find it online
:)
https://ikeyless.com/vehicles/Dodge/.../2009/1001555/

danstanford 06-08-2013 09:30 AM

OK, suppose I lose my fob but I have my spare key in a lock box, does this mean I cannot get into the truck without setting off the alarm? And if I do have to get into the truck to get my phone, for example, I cannot turn off the alarm?

To confirm, I cannot start my truck without the fob? What if the batteries die?