DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Big Horn vs. Outdoorsman (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144375)

tev9999 06-07-2013 09:34 PM

Big Horn vs. Outdoorsman

Ram seems to have really invented a confusing way to configure their trucks. I've looked at 100 window stickers online and my head is spinning.

I'm looking to buy a V6 8 speed decently loaded - I thought that forced me to go for the SLT with a Big Horn package, which my preferred configuration seems to be:
- V6 SLT
- Big Horn package (22G)
- Remote Start & Security Package
- Luxury Group (Auto dimming exterior mirrors, garage door opener, bunch of lamps)
- Uconnect 8.4 upgrade ($505???)

Now I am seeing a ton of Outdoorsman configured trucks with all of the above built into the Outdoorsman package (22T).

If I have this right:
Big Horn = chrome grill and choice of bench or bucket seats (+$250)
Outdoorsman = painted grill and forced bucket seats

I'm looking for a "city truck". I don't hunt, fish or go off road - or tow for that matter. The only negative I see with the Outdoorsman is that I think I would prefer the six passenger seating, but it is not a deal breaker. Are there any other differences I am missing that would make an Outdoorsman a poor (or better) choice for trips to Home Depot and the occasional couch move?

nikeman 06-07-2013 09:49 PM

The outdoors man is more for hunting and fishing type stuff. It's for the outdoorsmen out there. Lol. It comes with rubber floor mats, 3.92 gears, slightly higher ride height, and things like that. If I had to choose between a big horn and outdoorsman with identical features and prices I would pick outdoorsman just because I'm not a big fan of the chrome bumpers.

Dmcphee13ram 06-07-2013 10:04 PM

Outdoorsman comes with chrome bumpers. You can pick a bench or buckets in it. I got a 2 wheel drive one. I liked the looks and the features, but didn't want 4wd. 2wd outdoorsman do not come with 3.91's but it can be selected. It also does not come stock with a 8.4 touch screen like some say on this site but it can be upgraded to it. I custom ordered mine, it's been awesome so far and doesn't look like all the other rams on the road.

nikeman 06-07-2013 10:23 PM

I have an '11 outdoorsman and it has color matched bumpers. Did they change that this year? I also saw a '13 on the lot with painted bumpers.

Dmcphee13ram 06-07-2013 10:27 PM

Well I have a monotone outdoorsman, the 2 tone one has painted bumpers. It just depends on what you select.

tev9999 06-07-2013 10:30 PM

From the stickers I am looking at, both trims start out as a SLT with one of two trim packages added.

Outdoorsman sticker.

Big Horn Sticker

Both come with 3.21 gears standard, but most seem to get upgraded to 3.55. No mention of different suspensions or anything else. They really look like the same truck, just with different combinations of options. Looks like color matched bumpers only come with two tone paint jobs, which don't seem to be common on dealer lots.

Since I'm still confused, probably time to have a beer.

nikeman 06-07-2013 10:52 PM

I saw an all black outdoorsman on the lot. Mine is 2 tone though.

asavet18 06-08-2013 01:31 AM

You said it yourself ur looking for a city truck... plus trust me that extra seat comes in handy... I had the same problem as u... I live in the city but love to camp and fish... I'm in the city more so I chose the bighorn... no regrets love it!!!! :)

tev9999 06-08-2013 02:44 AM

OK, I've analyzed a little more, but both trucks seem to be different versions of a SLT.

Outdoorsman is the same as a BH except 17" wheels, bucket seats, skid plate and anti-spin diff standard (along with lack of chrome).

Big Horn plus Remote Start and Luxury packages and optional upgrade to Uconnect 8.4 from 5.0 is the same as an Outdoorsman except 20" wheels standard, skid plate and anti-spin diff optional, bench seat standard.

I've seen several BHs with the 20" tires deleted and the bucket seats and anti-spin diff added, so it looks like you can equip a BH as an Outdoorsman and vice-versa.

Unless there is a different ultra stiff off-road suspension or other differences on the Outdoorsman, it appears to open up both trims to my specifications. If available I would pick the bench seat, but it seems dealers add the buckets to the BH when they start adding the other luxury options.

BigHornCAP 06-08-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tev9999 (Post 1119666)
OK, I've analyzed a little more, but both trucks seem to be different versions of a SLT.

Outdoorsman is the same as a BH except 17" wheels, bucket seats, skid plate and anti-spin diff standard (along with lack of chrome).

Big Horn plus Remote Start and Luxury packages and optional upgrade to Uconnect 8.4 from 5.0 is the same as an Outdoorsman except 20" wheels standard, skid plate and anti-spin diff optional, bench seat standard.

I've seen several BHs with the 20" tires deleted and the bucket seats and anti-spin diff added, so it looks like you can equip a BH as an Outdoorsman and vice-versa.

Unless there is a different ultra stiff off-road suspension or other differences on the Outdoorsman, it appears to open up both trims to my specifications. If available I would pick the bench seat, but it seems dealers add the buckets to the BH when they start adding the other luxury options.

at one time i believed that that one of the differences was that the BigHorn came with Auto 4WD and the outdoorsman did not.

but after seeing pictures, i'm not so sure.

that may or may not be important to you, it was to me and lead to wanting a Bighorn. But like i said now i'm confused.