DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Have no clue........ (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144413)

esnite 06-08-2013 11:13 AM

Have no clue........

I have developed a particular noise recently under the hood of my 2001 Ram. when hood is raised it appears to be coming from behind the part with the fan blade. It seems to not be spinning unevenly. Cant find an exploded view of the engine. The diagram would probably help me explain a lot easier. I'm clueless. Please help.

esnite 06-08-2013 11:21 AM

maybe this will help

1 Attachment(s)
I believe this is what I'm talking about.........

Warlock III 06-08-2013 11:23 AM

Behind the fan is the fan clutch and the water-pump. Has there been a temperature issue? You might want to remove the belt and then check for play, or look at the wear mark on the pulley where the fan rides to see if there has been any movement or relocation of where the belt is riding as opposed to where it was riding.

RogerRamJet 06-08-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esnite (Post 1119804)
I believe this is what I'm talking about.........

That is your harmonic balancer, and it is bolted on to the main pulley and crank shaft. If the noise is coming from there, worst case scenario is a bad bearing... quite costly. It could be as simple as your belt, in which case not so costly and really easy to replace.

esnite 06-08-2013 11:34 AM

how do you determine whether its the belt or not?

Warlock III 06-08-2013 11:36 AM

Sorry, apparently we posted at the same time, my response, and your photo update.

Hey RRJ, is it a two piece HB? I've seen 'em come apart at the rubber where they're pressed together.

Gen1dak 06-08-2013 12:31 PM

Start with the simple stuff as already mentioned. Check the belt. Then suspect fan clutch. Does the fan move easily or with resistance? It should be sluggish, should not freewheel easily. Next, a little deeper. Suspect water pump. Outta keep you busy for a while.

RogerRamJet 06-08-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esnite (Post 1119816)
how do you determine whether its the belt or not?

Best way to check if it's a belt is to spray a little belt conditioner on the belt before it gets to the main pully. If the noise goes away, chances are it's the belt. However, Warlock makes a good point in that it could be a 2 piece balancer. And like Gen1 said, always start with the simple, less expensive stuff and work your way to the harder, more expensive stuff.

RogerRamJet 06-08-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock III (Post 1119818)
Sorry, apparently we posted at the same time, my response, and your photo update.

Hey RRJ, is it a two piece HB? I've seen 'em come apart at the rubber where they're pressed together.

I don't know if it's a two piece or not. More than likely it is, and if the rubber is coming apart, that would make a funny noise.