DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   X-Pipe and Mufflers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144421)

Choquette 06-08-2013 12:23 PM

X-Pipe and Mufflers

Hi, I am looking everywhere and didnt find what I was looking for. I just bought JBA shorties and I wanted to do a true duals at the same time, But I need to know what size X-Pipe should I buy and should I change everything from the cat to the tip or could I just swap the muffler and stay with the 2.25in tube? I bought a Throttle body too, and I have a CAI and Diablosport Intune set to 91oct. Thanks!

Supershafts 06-09-2013 01:46 PM

Honestly i'd do a custom single with a good merge pipe and muffler

Inferno10 06-12-2013 03:21 PM

Swap the muffler? Hang on, if you are looking to do true dual exhaust, you wont be able to reuse the stock muffler at all. If your truck came with factory dual exhaust, its a 1 in and 2 out muffler. Im not sure that any company makes a real dual exhaust kit for these trucks, its all going to have to be fabbed up custom. Unless you know what you are doing, thats a job better left to a shop that does them. You can end up spending a bunch of cash and end up bringing it to a shop to be done correctly anyways.

Look around on here, I know there are some members that have true duals on their 4th Gens.

Choquette 06-12-2013 08:05 PM

Well, the question was Can I just change the muffle to a dual one, and stay with the 2.25inch pipe to the rear with the mods I've put on the truck? Or should I change everything from the headers to the tip of the exhast and put something like 3inches pipe or 2.5 inches? ANd I think im gonna do a cam swap too!

Inferno10 06-13-2013 09:30 AM

Honestly, performance wise, your truck isnt making enough power to justify a 3 inch exhaust. You be better suited to put a higher flowing cat and something like a Flowmaster dual cat back system on it and call it a day.

If you are looking for max performance, the exhaust needs to be tuned to your combo just like anything else. If youre looking for what looks nice and sounds good, it doesnt matter what you put on there, as long as you like it.

Choquette 06-13-2013 06:09 PM

OK, So with my headers, throttle Body 87mm, CAI, tumer and CAM, you would suggest a 2.5 inches catback kit?

snrusnak 06-13-2013 09:58 PM

The stock exhaust is mandrel bent, and it's a single 3" after the stock y and dual 2.25" after the stock muffler. This sizing is good for your mods. You could do a single 3" in/dual 2.25" out muffler of your choice or run dual 2.25" pipes from the cats and go through an x pipe then dual in/out muffler and reuse stock tail pipes. Either will work great, performance will be about the same either way. Another thing to consider is that the stock exhaust is all stainless steel and all bends are mandrel.

Choquette 06-13-2013 11:54 PM

whats the size of those stock cats? ANd What size of a Y pipe should I buy? 2.5 to 3? I wanna cut the stock Y and put the aftermarket one!

Inferno10 06-17-2013 10:48 AM

I would go with 2 1/2" to the Y, then 3" to a high flow cat, then either a 3" single muffler with 3" after that, or a single 3" to dual 2 1/2" muffler with 2 1/2" to the tails.

Or you can just do 3" front to back to keep it simple. Just realize, the 3" all the way back is overkill.

What size is the flange on your headers?

Choquette 06-17-2013 04:58 PM

Well I did what snrusnak said! Im only changing the muffler to a 2.5 in and 2.5 out and Im cuting the jonction near the muffler to put my 2.5 X-Pipe and from there ill weld it to the 2.5 in muffler and weld my 2.5 ex muffler to my original 2.25 pipes! So my exhaust like will be 2.5 inches from the cats to the muffler and after that 2.25 to the tips!