DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   VARARAM - Dodge Ram Performance! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Is your 4Gen Vararam sealing to your hood??? Pics please... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144444)

billhere 06-08-2013 06:00 PM

Is your 4Gen Vararam sealing to your hood??? Pics please...

I'm still fighting mine...
So here we go.........
Stock hood...
Properly adjusted Vararam...
And a little sidewalk chalk on the seal, shows;

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6182f1ab.jpg

Mine is not...
I have a abundance of hot air under my hood here in Arizona being sucked into my intake ...
It might be cooler outside the truck, 112f yesterday... Hotter today!!!
How is everyone else's sealing????????????????????
Anything special done to get it to seal?????????????????

Please share your pictures (we all like pictures) !!!
Thanks all,
Bill

dauer53 06-09-2013 11:04 AM

Just an idea... Maybe pop that center hood pad pin out?

billhere 06-10-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dauer53 (Post 1120412)
Just an idea... Maybe pop that center hood pad pin out?

Dauer;
Yes, I have thought about that as well...
Remove the hood liner...
Place it face down on the ground...
Wet those 2 corners with some water...
Place some weights on both places to push flat and wait for it to dry that way...
Go to the dealer and buy more of the plastic liner retainer pins, I'm sure some will break...

Also: It is about 1 1/2 inch recessed in that area, needing to replace the 1 inch seal with maybe a 2 - 2 1/2 inch seal???? ...

I'm just wondering if ALL the gen4's varrarams are having the same sealing issue with the stock hood???

Bill

redlightmike 06-10-2013 08:53 PM

I know mine had the same problem as yours. I ended up just sending it back to vararam for a refund. They arent joking about the satisfaction guarentee!

billhere 06-10-2013 10:56 PM

Mike;
That's good to know, might be doing the same also...
They already replaced the complete CAI once...
Fits better, except for it not ever going being able to seal against the hood with this design...
What did you replace it with??? Any noticeable difference???
Bill

redlightmike 06-10-2013 11:26 PM

I went back with the old k&n 63 series. Of course it got the sound back but it actually feels stronger too. I know itll scratch 2nd with ease now when before i had to do things just right. Im hoping to get back to the track this weekend to see if it actually performs as good as it feels.

billhere 07-21-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightmike (Post 1121763)
I know mine had the same problem as yours. I ended up just sending it back to vararam for a refund. They arent joking about the satisfaction guarentee!

Yep, I gave up as well... Months fighting with this CAI, just was not going to happen... Stock intake for now with AirRaid drop-in filter (was the original setup)... Maybe a S&B CAI later ...Vararam does have a great return policy... Email sent to them, RMA and shipping label in my inbox in 2 hours and the following week money back in the bank... WOW... I'm impressed... Thanks Patrick & Steve...
Bill

spoiler 07-21-2013 01:45 PM

a thought- it appears to me that you are not sealing in those two small sections indicated by missing chalk....
How much are you missing by? I mean are we talking 1/8"? 1/64"?

Maybe you could add a thin line of weather stripping directly to the hood blanket in those two places- chalk it up and see if yer good.

I have a 13 and my problem is the opposite - the damn thing stands so tall that I have to use a lot of force to close the hood- somewhere between your prob and mine is a perfect solution :-)

billhere 07-21-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoiler (Post 1155630)
a thought- it appears to me that you are not sealing in those two small sections indicated by missing chalk....
How much are you missing by? I mean are we talking 1/8"? 1/64"?

Maybe you could add a thin line of weather stripping directly to the hood blanket in those two places- chalk it up and see if yer good.

I have a 13 and my problem is the opposite - the damn thing stands so tall that I have to use a lot of force to close the hood- somewhere between your prob and mine is a perfect solution :-)

Before I gave up on the thing:
I finally got it to seal with approx. "1 inch additional" seal higher added to the stock seal in those 2 locations only, so yes way off... worked, but not pretty at all... But my intake temps did come down...
Also I found that if you get to much positive pressure from the hood, the outer base unit (that holds the actual filter) will flex downward allowing the filter to pop out the lower base unit. If the mounting tube is all the way down on the TB and all the way to the bottom of the base unit, you might need to shorten the tube that it mounts to so there is not so much pressure when the hood closes... Keep in mind that there has to be some pressure there to seal the hood and to keep the CAI from moving all around but not so much that the lower housing deforms and the filter pops out of place... Make small adjustments and keep your eye on it for a few days to see if anything is not going as planned... Mount everything up, just do not tighten the top clamp that way if you close the hood down to the first latch (the CAI should slide to the correct position) then open the hood and tighten that top clamp... Everything should line up and be in position with some positive pressure from the hood...
Good luck,
Bill