DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Weld or not (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144446)

xtreme 06-08-2013 07:01 PM

Weld or not

Installed my cat back today. Altogether 6 clamps. Appears to have zero leaks. Should I take it to a shop and have it welded up? Or just leave the clamps? What's has everyone else been doing?

madhatr02 06-10-2013 05:54 AM

If you are never going to worry about taking it off, it wouldn't hurt anything to weld it. If you have thoughts of one day changing it out or selling it leave the clamps. I have never had an issue with the clamps but I hate that they are visible when someone does look under the truck, welds look cleaner to me.

xtreme 06-10-2013 06:04 AM

I'm going to get a welding quote today. I couldn't get the tips lined up 100%, It's not noticeable to anyone unless you stare at it. But it bugs me. The welder can fix that.

Troyw740 06-10-2013 06:24 AM

I would weld it cause over time i heard the clamps will become loose. And my exhaust tip did come loose personally with just clamps. And it's ugly for sure.

Grubrunner 06-10-2013 07:06 AM

^ Agreed.

I've had issues with bolt-ons in the past.

I'll never bolt-on an exhaust again.

Pay the little extra for a weld.

Money well spent.

xtreme 06-10-2013 07:40 PM

Getting welded next Tuesday and also having the tips move in further. They stick out way to far for me!

brandonjansen 06-11-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troyw740 (Post 1121070)
I would weld it cause over time i heard the clamps will become loose. And my exhaust tip did come loose personally with just clamps. And it's ugly for sure.

Yup, this ^^ is exactly right. I left mine clamped at first until I made sure I had everything where I wanted it. It had already moved numerous times and I had to fix it though. Once I had it all in place I tack welded all the joints. Then once I realized I had a few small leaks I welded everything up fully. Makes it much better! :smileup:

S.C. Express 06-12-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme (Post 1121664)
Getting welded next Tuesday and also having the tips move in further. They stick out way to far for me!

If you still have the stock tips they are super easy to adjust. One cinch bolt and you can position the tips how you want. Crawl under the bed and have a few sockets and ratchet ready. A buddy to eyeball it for you would be a plus.

xtreme 06-12-2013 05:15 PM

Nope I did a full catback

Nemmisis1 06-12-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme (Post 1120057)
Installed my cat back today. Altogether 6 clamps. Appears to have zero leaks. Should I take it to a shop and have it welded up? Or just leave the clamps? What's has everyone else been doing?

Weld nothing... If shit happens put the old exhaust back on and roll it back into dealer...they quick to blame exhaust for ALOT of shit happening to truck. :smileup: