DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Won't stay running! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144475)

Metaz169 06-09-2013 09:36 AM

Won't stay running!

I'm new to the group here but hoping someone can help the new guy out.

I have a 2000, 1500 with a 5.2. Not sure what is going on. I went to start it yesterday and at first it just clicked, checked the battery tried again and it cranked up but died. I tried again kept my foot on the gas and it would stay running, let off and it died. It just won't stay running!

Anyone have any ideas?

Warlock III 06-09-2013 10:52 AM

Have someone start it and you crawl under and either kick the tank with the toe of a good boot, or get a rubber mallet and keep hitting/tapping ( <--somewhere in between there) and see if it runs as long as you are hitting it.

If so BINGO fuel pump.

You can also try a shot of starting fluid to supplement the fuel intake for diagnostic reasons.

If you do figure it out, please stop back in and post your solution.

Gen1dak 06-09-2013 02:20 PM

I would check the battery and alternator. If a bad connection exists at the battery (corrosion), the power loss could cause computer problems. Disconnect the battery and get it checked. Being totally without power will fully reset the computer. If battery checks out, but is needing a charge, have the alternator checked. Since it will run under heavy throttle, would also look at TPS, MAP sensors. Also have to consider a large vacuum leak (especially the intake plenum gasket).

Warlock III 06-09-2013 02:28 PM

Just a follow up question...when you say it runs, does it sputter with the throttle all the way down and just barely try to run? Or does it run decent until you get out of the throttle.

Initially I thought you maybe had two problems, 1) bad connection at the battery, and 2) fuel pump.

In any event, try what's been posted so far and get back to us with an update.

Metaz169 06-09-2013 04:33 PM

WarlockIII, with my foot on the gas it runs smooth. Are you thinking fuel pump?

Gen1dak, not hearing vacuum leak but will check further. My amp gauge is showing 14 amp while running. I do think I need replace the battery. I will do that and check further.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will look in to them and post my results.

Metaz169 06-16-2013 07:56 PM

Won't stay running

Thanks for the suggestions. It ended up being a lack of power to the computer. The battery was bad and not putting enough power to the computer. I left the battery out over night then put in the new battery and all is good now.