DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   I thought Magnaflows were loud? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144710)

Redneck16 06-12-2013 01:44 AM

I thought Magnaflows were loud?

So I went with the general advice of the good people on this forum and got myself the 18" body magnaflow, 3" inlet with dual 2.5" outs and had it installed at my buddy's muffler shop. Only problem is, I can barely hear it. I was expecting a lot, LOT more. It wasn't all a loss, I gained a couple MPG's which is awesome but I was wanting a bit more out of it. My buddy was suggesting removing my resonators, new cat, new headers, or maybe getting a programmer.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't need to set up car alarms or anything but something with a nice rumble when I'm idling would be nice. Honestly sounds pretty much the exact same as the stock muffler in idle, and when I giver gas, can't hear it over my K&N cold air intake. Thanks in advance.

gonefishin776 06-12-2013 07:10 AM

not sure how you deduced that magnaflows were loud.

exhaust is one of the main topics on this site and every thread says the same thing:

"if you want LOUD go chambered exhaust [flowmaster for example], if you want more performance gains, go to a through design like magnaflow or similar..but they AREN'T as loud"

Grubrunner 06-12-2013 07:14 AM

I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone who's ever posted Magnaflow exhausts were considered "loud."

ckmb4 06-12-2013 07:23 AM

I have 18" Maggie on my 13'. Not LOUD but sounds great;). Good sound without a lot of drone

05ram 06-12-2013 07:40 AM

14" is supposed to be the louder one........

gonefishin776 06-12-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05ram (Post 1123129)
14" is supposed to be the louder one........

you are correct. :smileup:

still not LOUD though...if that's what a person is lookin for.

might have a nice tone, don't get me wrong. All about personal preference for sure

craigsredram 06-12-2013 08:31 AM

Loudness is subjective. I like loud with a nice tone. Straight pipes with headers and without cats doesn't sound very good to me, its loud. You throw a 12-15" Borla muffler on those straight pipes and it sounds awesome and loud to me. I wish Borla made an Atak Exhaust System for our trucks.

Gantman 06-12-2013 09:11 AM

Yeah, Maggies should be said to sound good, deep tone wise, with minimal in cab drone for those discerning ears and family men and women. Now if you want loud, I liked my 12" inch CherryBombs on my 5.9L Magnum Dakota. Just don't expect to talk to anyone at a normal tone.

SK-Ram 06-12-2013 10:08 AM

I had a 22" MF installed for 6 months, wasnt the sound I was lookkng for. Very happy with my Flowmaster.

Redneck16 06-17-2013 02:43 PM

I'm considering removing my resonators, any down side to that? Heard about a few noise issues with the MDS. Anyone removed them and regretted it? Probably beef up the exhaust just enough.