DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   backup camera and some other questions. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=144871)

rwb56 06-13-2013 06:59 PM

backup camera and some other questions.

so finally decided a new Laramie is just out of the budget, found a good deal on a 2009 decent miles (low 40's) has ram box and everything I seem to want.

Only question which i have not heard back is the backup camera in the 2009 does it display in the dash or on the rear view mirror?

if the default is mirror, is it possible to upgrade so I can get it in the dash and preferable dynamic? if so, how much does it run?

Also does it display your phone book on screen or is it just bluetooth and you dial from your phone? not a big deal either way but onscreen phone book would be nice.

only thing it's missing also is the ram box extender kit... not a big deal, I doubt I would use it, I just want the side drainable boxes (tailgating).

If there is anything else I should look for or ask about a 2009 Laramie let me know...

it's a dealership over 1,000 miles away, so relying on photos and carfax and such to do this and then would have it shipped.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!!!

astroman54 06-13-2013 07:49 PM

The default location for the backup camera display is on the radios with the color display/touch display.. SO, if you have one of those radios, you're set to have the camera installed (or do it yourself).. If you do your own install, you will need to take it to the dealer to have the "Option" installed into the truck's computer so that it will work.

Andy

GTyankee 06-13-2013 08:53 PM

You need to ask which radio is in it
the touch screen radios for 2009 were
RER 730Navigation touch screen, with NAVTEQ mapping
RHB 430Navigation touch screen, with Garmin mapping
RBZ 430 touch screen

they also made 2 radios that did not have touch screens
both of them were called
RES 130, one has the phone receiver button, the other did not

the stock position for the camera is the tailgate handle
the touch screen radios can display the camera

the RER 730n comes with bluetooth built into the radio
all of the others use an External bluetooth module
some came with external module from the factory
others did not & it was added by the owner hopefully

All of the above radios are interchangeable & they made them easy to make the change, maybe 7 screws at the most

the camera kits are all over eBay, etc.

you do NOT need any after market parts to make everything work, they are on the market to enhance some functions

if you need to upgrade the radio that comes with the 2009 Ram
the OEM Radios MUST be for use with the High Speed Bus
the low speed bus radios will not function in the 2009 - 2012 Rams

IF you choose to buy a radio from the after market, check out the CRUTCHFIELD website

Bob225 06-18-2013 12:25 AM

I have a 2009 Big Horn. Truck came with touch screen "uconnect tunes" ($800). No NAV.. I had the camera installed about 2 weeks after I had the truck. Took them about 4 hours to install since it was their first one. The screen picks up my cell phone info. Name and number on screen.