DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Switch to 4.10 gears? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145187)

Steermaster 06-16-2013 08:27 AM

Switch to 4.10 gears?

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. I have Hedman LT Headers, flowmaster exahust(which i will be changing soon to something that helps performance, any thoughts on that will be helpful too), Trinity tuner, cold air, 125hp shot nitrous. Mickey thompson drag radials.

I currently have 3.55 gears and looking to maybe put 4.10 gears in. I still use this truck as a daily driver but love to take it to the track. would it be good for me to switch, what kinda of gains/loss would I take? any feedback is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

S.C. Express 06-16-2013 05:56 PM

A prominent member of this board ( Cheffred) has a 2005 CC and runs 4.10's and 4.56's. He swears there is no downside to them. It's his DD, tows a boat and runs 12 second 1/4 miles... Pm that username or just search around here... he's kinda a post ho'... but in a good way. Everybody loves Fred, lol! He has been more than helpful to anyone who deserves it.

GTyankee 06-16-2013 06:03 PM

You might want to check out the Tech Help section of Randys Ring & Pinion website

Chefalan23 06-16-2013 06:41 PM

Just get them, no downside. It'll make your truck feel 1000 lbs lighter.

Steermaster 06-16-2013 07:49 PM

ok, so if I decide to get them, has anyone ever installed them? I am pretty savvy under the hood, never done a diff though. I know the basics of what to take off and move but as far as putting the gears in, is it just a basic bolt on deal? I have seen people say use shims and such, so where am i putting shims, or just pay attnetion to disassemble and put i tback together EXACT same way just new ring/pinion??

RAM EM 06-16-2013 11:27 PM

How tall are your DRs? If they are in the 27-28" range as most guys are, it might actually hurt track performance (1/4 mile) if you swap to 4.10s. It might make you shift into 5th on the big end of the track, and fall on it's face going through the traps. There are several guys on here running 3.55s and 28" DRs with excellent results. I would get some opinions on this before pulling the trigger. No doubt it would get you out of the hole faster and be quicker on the street. I just don't know if it's the right move for quicker 1320 times.
As far as the install, it can be a very laborious and involved task. You would either need to do some serious research/studying of proper gear installation, have someone who knows their sh*t help you, or have them installed professionally.

Steermaster 06-17-2013 12:27 AM

I am not pulling the trigger just yet, i would like to get more opinions. The only thing I have bought so far is the wheels, but it seems since i bought 17" wheels most tires will be around the 26" range yes.

TheSatinPumpkin 06-17-2013 09:39 AM

imo the 4.56's is the perfect medium for NA with or without spray (ran 4,10's, 4.88's and now my current 4.56's). Also you can lock your gear in 3rd to cross the traps.

JB2012ram1500 06-17-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steermaster (Post 1127097)
ok, so if I decide to get them, has anyone ever installed them? I am pretty savvy under the hood, never done a diff though. I know the basics of what to take off and move but as far as putting the gears in, is it just a basic bolt on deal? I have seen people say use shims and such, so where am i putting shims, or just pay attnetion to disassemble and put i tback together EXACT same way just new ring/pinion??

doing gears isn't an easy thing to tackle, I would get someone to do the swap that has tons of experience in that department. I did a gear swap and the pinion backed off and that set of gears were ruined.

I'm just saying if you were to do it your self you better check and recheck and recheck to make sure all the clearances are set and dialed in proper.

but my 2bits is take it to someone and get it done right the first time

JB2012ram1500 06-17-2013 05:24 PM

sorry have you thought of getting a stall?