DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Too much oil, and when to check? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145305)

Irv 06-17-2013 05:53 PM

Too much oil, and when to check?

Checking my engine oil tonight I noticed it was passed the full mark, to the second hump or the hump north of the hash marks.

I let the truck sit for an hour and a half at least before checking it, and it was on a complete level surface, including front to back and side to side.

I just drained about a 1/4 litre or 250 cc's out of it, took it for a drive and I am currently going to wait about 10-15 minutes to check it again.

Curious, how long should one wait after the vehicle is shut off to check the oil?
Imo, 10-15 minutes should be plenty, but I am looking for what the recommended wait time should be before checking it?

Also, with the level being to the second hump above the hash marks, does anyone have any idea how much extra oil was likely added, and do any of you think any harm could have come from it that high?

GTyankee 06-17-2013 06:13 PM

oil level being too high is just as bad as having it too low, it doesn't sound as if it was too much over though

in the past i checked my oil after filling up the gas tank, 10-15 minutes should be plenty for the oil to drain from the cylinder heads down to the pan

Irv 06-17-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 1128139)
oil level being too high is just as bad as having it too low, it doesn't sound as if it was too much over though

in the past i checked my oil after filling up the gas tank, 10-15 minutes should be plenty for the oil to drain from the cylinder heads down to the pan

I agree, it p*sses me off knowing they put too much in, especially in a brand new motor! (dealer/factory?)

I just rechecked and it currently seems like 250 cc's (1/4 litre) was all the extra that was added.
I am going to recheck tomorrow right after work, (provided I get a flat spot to park) as it will have sat at least 8hrs and I'll know for sure exactly how much oil it has in it.

PaulMys 06-17-2013 07:18 PM

A 1/4 of a liter over-full is not going to do any harm. Funny side story: When I was taking auto shop in high school back in the mid-eighties, a classmate of mine was doing an oil change on a faculty members car. He took a filter and a case (12) of oil from the shelf. When he came to grab another case, my shop teacher asked him what he was doing. He said after putting the case of oil in, it still wasn't full. Turns out he was waiting to see the oil level appear under the valve cover! Needless to say, he was quickly transfered to wood shop.

Irv 06-19-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMys (Post 1128209)
A 1/4 of a liter over-full is not going to do any harm. Funny side story: When I was taking auto shop in high school back in the mid-eighties, a classmate of mine was doing an oil change on a faculty members car. He took a filter and a case (12) of oil from the shelf. When he came to grab another case, my shop teacher asked him what he was doing. He said after putting the case of oil in, it still wasn't full. Turns out he was waiting to see the oil level appear under the valve cover! Needless to say, he was quickly transfered to wood shop.

I agree, as long as it is not enough for the crank jounals to go sloshing through the oil causing it to foam.

I re-checked last night and my oil level is now fine, it's the high end of full however, but not enough to worry about.

Funny story, but not surprised to hear actually as I have seen/heard all kinds over the years:doh:

02325 06-20-2013 05:08 PM

that little bit wont hurt anything.

I use auto pumps at work for oil. They are not set to exactly pump 1 qt of oil. EX: If i pump 4 qts of oil in a 5 qt jug, it will be a wee bit over. But then who's to say the jug is marked correctly.

Hermes1 06-22-2013 12:04 AM

I always wait at least 15 minutes before checking the oil level when traveling and want to keep tabs on the level. Otherwise when at home I typically check in the morning after it has sat overnight.

Grubrunner 06-22-2013 12:24 AM

OP, how did you drain the 1/4 liter of oil?