DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   VARARAM - Dodge Ram Performance! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=235)
-   -   Vararam install question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145383)

stryker291982 06-18-2013 12:54 PM

Vararam install question

First off my truck is a late 2012 model

To those of you that have installed this already when attaching the front air wing do you put the screw inserts from the back through the hole with the screws and washers in the front or do the inserts go on the front side with the screws on the back.

either way looks like the air damn is hitting on the ac lines one the passenger side

the installed instructions are not clear on this and the copied black and white photos suck at showing any detail.

Also I unclipped the wiring harness and moved it in front of the horn assembly is there anything else required to do with this or the horn seems like an awful restrictive place to have air flow pass through with the horn and wiring in its path.

Designflaw 06-18-2013 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't know if its right or wrong, but I put the screws and washers to the front. Also, the AC line I pushed the mounting bracket down about 1/4-1/2" at the fender and everything fit fine. You can see my PVC filter on the left vs. the right (before I cut it back some) I wanted to keep the Engine Cover without cutting it at the new filter location next to the Oil fill, so I just used the whole pipe brought it back over to the left side, drilled a small hole in the cover and used a wire tie to hold the pipe in place, cut the pipe back to the cover, then used the boot and filter.

billhere 06-18-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker291982 (Post 1128777)
First off my truck is a late 2012 model

To those of you that have installed this already when attaching the front air wing do you put the screw inserts from the back through the hole with the screws and washers in the front or do the inserts go on the front side with the screws on the back.

either way looks like the air damn is hitting on the ac lines one the passenger side

the installed instructions are not clear on this and the copied black and white photos suck at showing any detail.

Also I unclipped the wiring harness and moved it in front of the horn assembly is there anything else required to do with this or the horn seems like an awful restrictive place to have air flow pass through with the horn and wiring in its path.

Stryker:
Per Patrick (Vararam Tech), he likes the front wing mounted in front... Screws coming from the engine side to the front...
It looks like all Gen4 Vararams on the 2012's are hitting the AC lines on the passenger side... I trimmed mine out with a rotary cutter to remove the bind and which added more clearance on the passengers side.
It is because Mother Mopar moved the engine over 2 inches towards the passenger side on the gen 4 trucks and Vararam is still running their stock base unit setting centered on the engine but 2 inches off center of the truck...
I also moved the horn wiring behind the wing, to get it out of the airflow....
Good luck on yours, as I'm still fighting mine to make it work as I think it should work...
Bill

Ezekielguy86 06-18-2013 02:31 PM

I too just installed my Vararam yesterday and was disappointed in the fitment of the front scoop on the A/C. Not a big deal I guess as i will just trim the scoop. My big issue was the wiring to the horn as stated above. The wiring blocks all the potintal air to pass threw. So I will be moving this as well. All in all its still a very nice well built intake that Im happy with other than the small issues.

Side note if your looking at this intake and are wanting it too be loud this is not it. As I didn't want to hear my intake non stop I was rather surprised on how quite it is. "can't tell any difference over stock sound"

stryker291982 06-18-2013 03:25 PM

To all that have replied so far is thing supposed to look a little offset and not straight when looking at it from the front

Designflaw 06-18-2013 03:46 PM

As you can see in my picture, it sits level, but to the left