DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Spare Tire Tailpipe Clearance Question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145476)

heath.robertson 06-19-2013 11:39 AM

Spare Tire Tailpipe Clearance Question

1 Attachment(s)
On Friday I got a 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT!

It didn't come with a spare, so I went to the local Dodge salvage yard and got one that will work with my 20" wheels.

They put it up, and when I got home I started looking at it. Then I noticed how alarmingly close the tailpipe is to the spare! I'd say I have no more than 1/4" clearance between the tailpipe and the spare. I shifted the tailpipe around as much as I could, and it would never make contact, but it was very close.

Is this going to be a problem, or is this normal?

Thanks for your input!

brandonjansen 06-19-2013 01:07 PM

I'm not sure what the normal set up on the 3rd gens is but I know on my 4th gen the tail pipe is way further away from the spare and there's still a heat shield to block it. I would definitely be a little concerned with your set up.... Hopefully another 3rd gen member can chime in for you to see what there's looks like.

heath.robertson 06-19-2013 02:51 PM

Well darn...

My tailpipe could be bent out more to the right and still not protrude from the truck body, so I'm thinking that my best option may just be to go to a muffler shop and see what it would take for them to bend it out of the way.

That way I could keep the spare in the stock position, and not have to worry about it melting. Seems like the simplest solution to me, while still keeping the spare out of the way.

RAM EM 06-19-2013 03:29 PM

If it's not actually touching the tire you should be fine. Think about how much heat is generated just from a tire driving on hot asphalt on a road trip! Also, the exhaust isn't incredibly hot by the time it gets that far back.

namretsud 06-19-2013 04:25 PM

When lifting the tire into place , pull the tire away from the exhaust as you winch it into place and you should get more clearance, and it will stay put when you snug it into place.

heath.robertson 06-19-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namretsud (Post 1129932)
When lifting the tire into place , pull the tire away from the exhaust as you winch it into place and you should get more clearance, and it will stay put when you snug it into place.

That sounds like the kind of simple solution I like!

I'll try that and see how it works.

Thanks for all of the input!

heath.robertson 06-21-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namretsud (Post 1129932)

I did this last night, and it gave me at least an additional inch of room! I'm much more comfortable with where it is now, and I like the simple solution!

Thanks so much! :smileup: