DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   2013 Oil Type............. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145497)

Ram Dude 06-19-2013 04:29 PM

2013 Oil Type.............

I wanna check my oil later today and I'm pretty sure they use synthetic, but I just wanna be sure. So, what type of oil do 1500's use?

GTyankee 06-19-2013 04:55 PM

the oil they use at the dealership right now is actually Shell's PennzoilŽ 5w-20 conventional and Shell RotellaŽ motor oil for Diesel engines, the most preferred brands in their respective categories
the can/bottle will not read SHELL, it will have a MOPAR label

Shell has the current contract with Chrysler, it has been Mobile One & other brands in the past

http://media.chrysler.com/newsreleas...id=10790&mid=2

Irv 06-19-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram Dude (Post 1129973)
I wanna check my oil later today and I'm pretty sure they use synthetic, but I just wanna be sure. So, what type of oil do 1500's use?

I highly doubt it is full synthetic, probably more of a semi, but it might not even be that?

What I want to know is, is the oil an actual "Break in" oil or is it just because it's the oil in use to break in the engine, it is referred to as "Break in" oil?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 1129986)
the oil they use at the dealership right now is actually Shell's PennzoilŽ 5w-20 conventional and Shell RotellaŽ motor oil for Diesel engines, the most preferred brands in their respective categories
the can/bottle will not read SHELL, it will have a MOPAR label

Shell has the current contract with Chrysler, it has been Mobile One & other brands in the past

http://media.chrysler.com/newsreleas...id=10790&mid=2

Pennzoil is great oil, it constantly receives great UOA's and VOA's at bob is the oil guy.com (bitog.com) from all kinds different motors and manufacturers.

I currently have 2, 5 litre jugs of of 5W-30 I'd like to use but I am leery because of the weight difference.

I doubt very much any harm could be done using it as opposed to the 5W-20, but I think I will wait until my motor has at least a few thousand miles on it first.

Tcon 06-20-2013 01:57 AM

I tend to drop my oil and filter right away on my new vehicles. I dropped this trucks oil at 250 Kilometers and switched to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20. The theory is you get rid of any manufacturing debris right away. I did the same with my old truck and it is still going strong. Probably a waste of time but I figure its cheap insurance.

I would not suggest running 5w-30, the oil will be too thick at operating temperature. My 2003 Hemi recommended 5w-30 but it didn't have any of the new features like MDS.

Hermes1 06-20-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irv (Post 1130059)
I highly doubt it is full synthetic, probably more of a semi, but it might not even be that?

What I want to know is, is the oil an actual "Break in" oil or is it just because it's the oil in use to break in the engine, it is referred to as "Break in" oil?

Pennzoil is great oil, it constantly receives great UOA's and VOA's at bob is the oil guy.com (bitog.com) from all kinds different motors and manufacturers.

I currently have 2, 5 litre jugs of of 5W-30 I'd like to use but I am leery because of the weight difference.

I doubt very much any harm could be done using it as opposed to the 5W-20, but I think I will wait until my motor has at least a few thousand miles on it first.

No on break-in oil they use regular weight, otherwise they would have to specify a shorter oil change interval for the first one.

GTyankee 06-20-2013 02:14 AM

Leave the 5w-30 on the shelf for someone else
The 1500 HEMI has the MDS & it may light up a check engine light
look at your OWNERS Manual

Thunderhorse 06-20-2013 09:43 AM

As far as I know there is no full conventional 5w20, but I doubt the dealer uses full synthetic when they keep offering coupons for $17.50 oil changes. I can't change the oil myself for that cheap.

browndawg 06-20-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderhorse (Post 1130485)
As far as I know there is no full conventional 5w20, but I doubt the dealer uses full synthetic when they keep offering coupons for $17.50 oil changes. I can't change the oil myself for that cheap.

did u read the fine print my dealer sends me coupons to but at the bottom in fine print it says up to 5 qts and that hemis are extra

Thunderhorse 06-20-2013 07:10 PM

It says that hemis are extra but they never charge me extra. I know how much I paid for it:bananalama:

highlandchef 06-20-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irv (Post 1130059)

Skip the 5w-30. It could cause problems and they may not be covered under warranty.