DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What lift?!?!?!?! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145584)

BlackDog 06-20-2013 04:37 PM

What lift?!?!?!?!

Hey guys!

I have a 2012 ram 1500 sport 4x4 and im looking to get a 6inch lift.

The problem is theres so many out there!!!! Im really looking for opinions here, i saw brands like rough country and zone are cheaper but are they gonna fall apart on me? I should also say Im not looking to do any hardcore off roadinghttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png, mainly street and canadian winter driving.

THANKS!!!

BlackDog 06-20-2013 06:01 PM

Anyone? anyone at all??

brandonjansen 06-20-2013 06:19 PM

For some reason I thought I answered this exact post on another thread.... Did you start two threads with this post?? :4-dontknow:

If you're sticking to mainly street driving and don't do anything too hardcore the RCX 6" kit is a great choice. Definitely a good bang for your buck. You will want to paint or powder coat the unfinished parts though or they will start looking rusty in no time.

I would also recommend getting the Bilstein 5100's as well to be able to properly level out your truck with the lift. If you wanted you could get the Bilsteins for the back as well. I've heard the the RCX shocks aren't the greatest in the world....

Zone is very comparable to the RCX kit. Zone is made by BDS and the reason they make them is to compete with Rough Country. It is also good quality for a street truck with mild offroad use. If you want to step up a little higher there's BDS or Procomp. Personally I'm not a fan of Procomps lift at all.... I just don't like how they achieve the lift. It's a little hokey IMO. BDS is a good quality kit but I don't see the quality increase to justify the price increase over the RCX kit. Again, just my personal opinion.

BlackDog 06-20-2013 06:59 PM

Yeah I did, just thought if i posted it here id get more opinions and responses. Just unsure because theres comments about people loving RCX and people hating it. I just dont want to regret installing it

brandonjansen 06-20-2013 07:18 PM

You have to remember, for every one person that complains about something there's 50 who have no issues whatsoever. People are a lot more likely to complain about something rather than post positive feedback about it.

Yes there are people who have had issues but from what I have seen it is commonly from people who did not install the correct kit on their truck or who beat on it a ridiculous amount. I know tons of people on the forum who love the kit and haven't had any issues at all.

Again, for mainly street driving you shouldn't have any issues at all. Just make sure you get the correct kit for a 2012. It has different front diff drop brackets and a different drive shaft spacer than the previous 4th gens.

BlackDog 06-20-2013 08:55 PM

would I need wheel spacers or a kicker bar? there website has those as options as well i hear alot about adding a spacer in the back.

chadster21 06-20-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1130915)
You have to remember, for every one person that complains about something there's 50 who have no issues whatsoever. People are a lot more likely to complain about something rather than post positive feedback about it.

Yes there are people who have had issues but from what I have seen it is commonly from people who did not install the correct kit on their truck or who beat on it a ridiculous amount. I know tons of people on the forum who love the kit and haven't had any issues at all.

Again, for mainly street driving you shouldn't have any issues at all. Just make sure you get the correct kit for a 2012. It has different front diff drop brackets and a different drive shaft spacer than the previous 4th gens.

are you even lifted????

rcx is junk. its going to waste away on you... if you only plan on keeping the truck for a few years sure its ok... if you want to keep the truck for a while spend the cash and get a bds or fabtech.... ive had my rcx kit for 30 thousand KILOMETERS now and so far, my sway bar link rusted to shit and had to replace it, my coils sagged an incredible amount, my bushings are shot on the back shocks, the entire kit is starting to rust, theres a few other minor things i wont mention.

to be quite honest im not one of these people who label stuff as junk for no reason, i was more than happy with this kit until the last few months. i work in fort mac and live in newfoundland, my truck barely gets used theres no reason for this to happen in such short periods of time. i will NEVER buy an rcx kit again. and the majority on here who is honest will say the same.

you get what you pay for.

when it comes time to get a lift hit up fastnugly he can give you alot of pros and cons and you wont beat his prices. hope this helps bro:smileup:

BlackDog 06-21-2013 12:05 AM

hmmmm do you do alot of off roading on your turnaround? or are you just driving in the city? I really dont know what to do. I dont care about the shocks im going to upgrade them probably to bilstiens or fox but im not sure if i want to deal with alot of rust. BDM just seems like alot for someone not hitting trails every weekend.

chadster21 06-21-2013 06:33 AM

i dont do alot, but its not a pavement princess either i will go have fun with it, i would say 985% roads 15% mud and trails

brandonjansen 06-21-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadster21 (Post 1131068)
are you even lifted????

rcx is junk. its going to waste away on you... if you only plan on keeping the truck for a few years sure its ok... if you want to keep the truck for a while spend the cash and get a bds or fabtech.... ive had my rcx kit for 30 thousand KILOMETERS now and so far, my sway bar link rusted to shit and had to replace it, my coils sagged an incredible amount, my bushings are shot on the back shocks, the entire kit is starting to rust, theres a few other minor things i wont mention.

to be quite honest im not one of these people who label stuff as junk for no reason, i was more than happy with this kit until the last few months. i work in fort mac and live in newfoundland, my truck barely gets used theres no reason for this to happen in such short periods of time. i will NEVER buy an rcx kit again. and the majority on here who is honest will say the same.

you get what you pay for.

when it comes time to get a lift hit up fastnugly he can give you alot of pros and cons and you wont beat his prices. hope this helps bro:smileup:

No I'm not lifted yet. But I have read tons of posts about all the lifts. And if you would have read all my posts fully you would have seen that what I suggested would have fixed all of your problems except for the sagging coils (painting/powdercoating the unfinished parts, and replacing the rear shocks). Plus I posted in another thread started by the OP with even more detailed information.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. I respect the opinions of people who have used the products in person but like I said, there are ways to get around the problems you are having. You're buying a cheaper lift so sometimes you have to put a little more work in to bring it up to snuff.