DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   truck ticking, not the normal hemi tick (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145591)

thebluegoat 06-20-2013 07:26 PM

truck ticking, not the normal hemi tick

I've had a problem with my truck going on two years now. I first noticed it in the summer when I was able to roll the windows down. If I coast in my truck from around 60 km/h to 28 km/h you can hear a ticking noise that sounds similar to a baseball card in bike spokes but more mechanical sounding. I've had it to the dealer several times. First they replaced the torque converter (two of the bolts had backed out). That didn't cure it so they replaced the drivers side lifters. This seemed to fix it for a while and I didn't bother to listen to it over the winter. I was able to hear it again this spring so I took it in again and they replaced both driver and passenger side lifters. No fix. Mechanic thought it might be an exhaust leak so this Wednesday they replaced both gaskets, manifolds, and all studs as well as using high heat sealant. No fix. The tick will go away if I put the truck in Tow/Haul or if I manually select my gears. Both dealer advisor and mechanics, as well as myself are at a loss. Anyone have any idea what this might be? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Asur 06-20-2013 09:50 PM

Wonder if its piston slap?

ArmyofOne 06-20-2013 10:57 PM

i had this exact problem, its normal. my service manager and i drove 6 different rams, 3 new and 3 used, all of them did it. after weeks of diagnosis with my truck on a dyno, it was narrowed down to the fuel injectors that were not squirting fuel causing the tick while MDS is active. thats why it goes away in tow haul or manual gear selection, because you disabled the mds. its called Fuel Injector Tick, and its a harmless function of a properly working MDS system.

Jody79 06-21-2013 03:04 PM

I had the same thing until recently. I have been to the dealer for the same amount of time as you, 2 years. I was told it was normal too. I am not going to settle for an embarrassing noise from a $30,000 truck. This last time to the dealer was finally a good one. What the tick is, is the retainers on the rocker shaft that bend. They take the valve covers off and there are 2 tabs on the retainers. They either bend them inward or outward, doesn't matter and that cures the tick. They are hitting with the pushrod rhythm.

ArmyofOne 06-21-2013 10:55 PM

doesnt explain how brand new trucks do it, and only on deceleration with mds active. if it were these retainers it would tick the entire time the engine is running and increase in frequency with engine rpm.

i was in the bay when they were diagnosing my truck, and the clicking on my truck was the injectors not squirting fuel on the non firing cylinders with mds engaged. thats on my truck, i wached the compter screen that showed the injectors closing in time with the ticks. i fail to see how a normal function of the truck is embarrasing.

Gantman 06-21-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne (Post 1131700)
doesnt explain how brand new trucks do it, and only on deceleration with mds active. if it were these retainers it would tick the entire time the engine is running and increase in frequency with engine rpm.

i was in the bay when they were diagnosing my truck, and the clicking on my truck was the injectors not squirting fuel on the non firing cylinders with mds engaged. thats on my truck, i wached the compter screen that showed the injectors closing in time with the ticks. i fail to see how a normal function of the truck is embarrasing.

ArmyofOne........I agree with ya 110%! :smileup:

Chunkem 06-23-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne (Post 1131700)

Totally agree.....Friend just had the same thing done.....

huntergreen 06-23-2013 02:06 PM

nothing embarrassing about this at all.

oldhp 06-25-2013 05:47 PM

I've read this and I still don't understand. How can a fuel injector make noise if its "not" firing??? Now if you told me the intake/exhaust lifter mechanism was ticking because of the MDS system setup, that I could believe. It sounds to me like the lifters with the link that don't let lifter work is getting some slop and making noise.
:4-dontknow:

ArmyofOne 06-27-2013 03:44 PM

I was watching the injectors pulse on the scope in the shop. Every time the tick was audible with the truck on the dyno, a spike showed on the scope. The injectors in the Hemi's with MDS "tick" when the fuel in the rail bypasses the injector because its closed. I cant really think of any other way to explain it, but my dealer spent 35 days and went to great lengths, even paying for dyno time at a contracted shop, to get to the bottom of the ticking noise described, and that was the verdict. If you don't buy it, I don't know what to say, other than I dont know why a dealer and the service manager would willingly go that far to get to the bottom of it and then give me the wrong answer. They drove new trucks, and used trucks, and my truck. They had my truck hooked up and then hooked up a new one for comparison, and mine checked out with nearly identical results and readings to every truck it was tested against...6 in total (3 brand new and 3 used 4th gens).