DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Kicker Upgrade Speaker Discovery (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145596)

12sport 06-20-2013 09:00 PM

Kicker Upgrade Speaker Discovery
 
So I got sick of the flat/muddy sounding "premium" Alpine system and decided to order up the Kicker speaker packages. The front one was simple enough 77KICK42 gets you the two 6x9 woofers for the front doors and the 3 2-way mids for the dash.

What I found odd was the suggested rear speaker pack that replaced the 6x9's in the rear doors with the 3-way 6x9s while doing nothing about the rear headliner tweeters..... Enter the 77KICK28AB: This gets you a set of 6x9 woofers for the rear doors (identical to the ones in the front) AND a set of 1" dome tweeters for the headliner. I DID have to do some trimming on the mounting plates for the tweeters to fit in the headliner - this was done in under a minute with tin snips.

It sounds great!

Now.. Anyone here running the MTX Thunderform quad-cab 2x10" under-seat enclosure?

Leveil22 07-16-2013 04:46 PM

How do you like them?

Graygoose 07-16-2013 05:10 PM

I actually work for Kicker, and hope you like the kit. We have a powered 10" sub that fits for those as well.

kkreit01 07-17-2013 05:39 PM

I should have gone this route vs. adding my own afermarket amp/speakers. It gets real messy and expensive in a hurry. It's easy enough to integrate an amp+sub, but trying to find a full-range signal is worse than pulling teeth.

It's somewhat ironic that Kicker would be a signicant improvement over "Alpine". In the pure aftermarket world, they are about equal (or Alpine slightly better in some cases). I think the OE system should be labeled Boss, Dual, or Sparkomatic, because that's what it sounds like.

shawnu 07-24-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graygoose (Post 1151658)
I actually work for Kicker, and hope you like the kit. We have a powered 10" sub that fits for those as well.

Well y'all have for a LOT of my money over the years. And some more here soon. Lol. You wouldn't have been in Tulsa a couple months ago were ya? I seen a truck VERY similar to yours near the drag strip between ttown and owasso! It was when they gave away a bunch of free tickets. :LOL:

Speaking of which I need to take my truck some time and run it...

Graygoose 07-24-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnu (Post 1157698)
Well y'all have for a LOT of my money over the years. And some more here soon. Lol. You wouldn't have been in Tulsa a couple months ago were ya? I seen a truck VERY similar to yours near the drag strip between ttown and owasso! It was when they gave away a bunch of free tickets. :LOL:

Speaking of which I need to take my truck some time and run it...

Yes i make runs over there occationally, we run in tulsa ( race car, not my truck) at tulsa raceway often. :)

Graygoose 07-24-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkreit01 (Post 1152564)
I should have gone this route vs. adding my own afermarket amp/speakers. It gets real messy and expensive in a hurry. It's easy enough to integrate an amp+sub, but trying to find a full-range signal is worse than pulling teeth.

It's somewhat ironic that Kicker would be a signicant improvement over "Alpine". In the pure aftermarket world, they are about equal (or Alpine slightly better in some cases). I think the OE system should be labeled Boss, Dual, or Sparkomatic, because that's what it sounds like.

The Alpine is an 8" sub, low powered and tuned high, while the Kicker is a 200 w 10" sub, significant increase in lowend.

shawnu 07-24-2013 10:04 PM

Almost anything OEM is going to be tuned to be on the safe side, does it sound good for factory? I think so, but I'd save the money and do it myself and sound better.

I'm 99.99% sure it was you, I was checkin your truck out and my GF was like c'mon!!! Stop being a creeper!!:LOL:

Anyway, nice truck bro!!

Leveil22 07-24-2013 10:47 PM

Anyone do the kicker factory amp upgrade

Graygoose 07-25-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnu (Post 1158426)
Almost anything OEM is going to be tuned to be on the safe side, does it sound good for factory? I think so, but I'd save the money and do it myself and sound better.

I'm 99.99% sure it was you, I was checkin your truck out and my GF was like c'mon!!! Stop being a creeper!!:LOL:

Anyway, nice truck bro!!

thanks man :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leveil22 (Post 1158466)
Anyone do the kicker factory amp upgrade

Everyone that has, LOVES the upgrade, its really a 1 hour install....plug and play, doesnt disrupt the CANBUS at all...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger