DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Forum CANADA (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Good fuel vs poor fuel (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145699)

1979 Palomino 06-22-2013 10:11 AM

Good fuel vs poor fuel

June 8th I had the RAM into Hanover Chrysler again for the check engine light and again they said they couldn't find anything wrong because I cleared the codes. I've been getting gas at Pioneer since the truck was new and they suggested using a different fuel. So I think all fuel is the same, it comes out of a hole in the ground and is processed at a refinery. The mechanic told me that Pioneer, Canadian Tire were the worst fuels to use. He said Shell, Esso, and Petro Canada were the best. We filled up with Shell that day and filled with Shell again on the 20th. We got 22.2 mpg. on the first tank of gas. Our mpg. for the month of May was 16.7. This is an increase of 5.5 mpg. Also I figure out my mileage with math not guessing so any doubting Thomases need not second guess my figures.
Also went to Shell in our F-150 with the 4.6 and on the first tank gained 2.4 mpg.
So now I believe that all fuels are not created equal. So if you are getting poor fuel consumption maybe try a better quality fuel. It helped our trucks.

guru1ofatl 06-22-2013 11:40 PM

I have seen this as well, especially from some of the big name stores that happen to sell gas too.

1979 Palomino 06-23-2013 07:27 AM

fuel

Quote:

Originally Posted by guru1ofatl (Post 1132406)
I have seen this as well, especially from some of the big name stores that happen to sell gas too.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess saving a couple of cents per liter at the pump for fuel is you get what you pay for. Getting 5.5 mpg. increase without turning a wrench to do a modification is great in my books.

Gantman 06-23-2013 08:49 AM

Very good test and observation on this old adage of, "All fuel is the same". I just had to flush a couple of fuel tanks this past week from having water in them. Running issues and stalling are always great indicators of poor fuel quality or contaminants present.

RedSmart 06-24-2013 03:18 AM

I wonder how much of a difference it makes from 87 to 89??

I may have to try that out just to see.

1979 Palomino 06-24-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSmart (Post 1133217)
I wonder how much of a difference it makes from 87 to 89??

I may have to try that out just to see.

I'm going to try a couple more tanks of 87 and then I am going to try some 89. I know I've been on here before telling everybody to not waste their money on higher octane fuel if your vehicle doesn't need it. Now I'm curious, maybe our fuel is so poor that 87 isn't 87, 89 is 87, 94 is 91, who knows, but I will try different octanes in the coming months.

guru1ofatl 06-24-2013 05:56 PM

Many modern engines use knock sensors (ours included) which will reduce timing when the engine "pings". Lower quality or contaminated fuels can cause this and as a result, you may end up with lower power and efficiency.

With the warm summers here in Georgia, fuel quality has a significant impact.

Worth giving it a shot.

Canadian Hemi Pride 06-24-2013 06:12 PM

I noticed since I switched from 87 octane to 91 octane I never get any form of ST or LT knock come up on my diablo.

GTyankee 06-24-2013 07:55 PM

In San Diego there is a FUEL FARM, which is another name for a fuel storage facility, there are several large tanks to keep the blends seperate

all brands come through the same pipe that comes down from Long Beach
From what i was told, When a tank is getting low, they let Long Beach know & they put a PLUG into the pipe line, then a Blend, ( regular, mid grade, premium, or Diesel ) is pumped into the pipeline behind the plug, then another PLUG is placed into the pipe line & another grade of fuel is run, etc., etc.
Fuel additives are added when the tanker truck pulls up to the storage facility
Each brand has its own Additive Formula

So all the gas does come from a hole in the ground, decomposed Dinosaurs make up the tar that is made into crude oil, grease, heavy oil, motor oil, gasoline, plastics, diesel, turpentine, etc.
the main difference is how it is refined into grades
then what additives are put into it at the last stage

Channelcat2000 06-27-2013 02:43 PM

Just to let everyone know mid grade gas is not refined at a refinery it is mixed at the pump where you buy it.