DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (
-   -   Engine chewing up serpentine belts. (

dirtdevil 06-24-2013 07:57 PM

Engine chewing up serpentine belts.
My 2000 Ram 5.9 liter is chewing up serpintine belts. I changed the belt tensioner but that didn't solve the problem. I looks as though the tensioner is edging the belt towards the front of the crank pulley. There is no way to adust any of these pulleys that I can see. Any suggestions?

Warlock III 06-26-2013 12:09 PM

I would suggest changing the tensioner itself. The tensioner should be spring loaded (hence tensioner=add tension) and the spring is weak. The pulley rides at the apex of the tensioner creating leverage. If the spring in the tensioner is weak then it will cause it to pull away from the base and ride at an angle throwing the belt out of alignment.

Breeze13 06-27-2013 11:33 AM

Serpintine Problem
Dirtdevil, I have a 2000 with a 318 (5.2). Awhile back is was throwing the belt and the problem ended up being the water pump was going bad. When the bearings in the pump start to go, the shaft and therefore the pulley gets wobbly. I ain't no mechanic but that's what mine did.

Warlock III 06-27-2013 02:18 PM

The easiest way to check that I've found is to look at the pulleys for a new wear pattern. See if there's a pulley that the belt used to ride on further in.

I mis-read your OP and thought you'd just changed the tensioner pulley and not the tensioner. Oops. sorry.

namretsud 06-27-2013 02:43 PM

I had a tensioner pulley bearing go and the only way to verify was to take the belt off and I could feel some wiggle in the pulley by hand.