DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Custom Tunes (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145903)

Jerrad 06-24-2013 09:33 PM

Custom Tunes

I think I finally made up my mind and I am going to go with hemifever but first I just wanted to ask, is a custom tune something I should be running every day on a daily driver?

Canadian Hemi Pride 06-24-2013 09:36 PM

I don't have a custom tune yet, but I would not see why not.. It is like running a canned tune everyday but designed for you and your truck... I know fastNugly runs his custom all the time, but idk if it is his daily driver... Sure someone will be able to answer you soon, tons of people running custom tunes here.

galfer 06-24-2013 10:05 PM

Good question. I was wondering the same thing as I just bought a trinity. Was wondering if I could run a economy booster during weekly commutes around town and throw in some premium and change to custom tune if I want to play with the kids on the weekends

Canadian Hemi Pride 06-24-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galfer (Post 1133856)
Good question. I was wondering the same thing as I just bought a trinity. Was wondering if I could run a economy booster during weekly commutes around town and throw in some premium and change to custom tune if I want to play with the kids on the weekends

I used to do that with 87 octane performance and booster mode.. Now running 91 performance canned tune with MDS on.. and getting same/ slightly better then booster was giving.. plus a lot more kick.

RAM EM 06-24-2013 10:09 PM

I run my custom 93 tune everyday. The only drawback is I have to fill w/ 93 every time. It actually would be better to always run the custom tune(s), as they tend to produce little or no spark knock compared to the Diablo canned tunes. Be sure to ask Sean about getting a couple of tunes (low octane/high octane), unless you don't mind buying premium always. He threw me an 89 tune with my 93 setup, I just never use it.

RAM EM 06-24-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galfer (Post 1133856)

The problem with that is you would need to completely run out the low octane fuel, and preferably run a complete tank of 93 through before installing the 93 tune. Otherwise, you probably will get some pretty bad detonation (spark knock).

Jerrad 06-24-2013 10:18 PM

That's actually a great idea, I also run the 93 octane daily but I did put premium in it every time before I got the tuner so I don't mind. Makes a lot of since too that the custom tune should be better for the truck I just wanted to make sure of it first

dodgert 06-24-2013 10:58 PM

i run my custom tune every day love it

Raminator5280 06-24-2013 11:03 PM

I run my custom tune everyday.

Bully's Performance 06-24-2013 11:43 PM

I ran a Custom tune everyday on my truck when I had it and wouldn't do it any other way, I ran a 91 tune with 92 or 93 fuel with NO ETHANOL added and was getting 18 on the highway when not getting into it to much, and that was with an 8" lift, and back and fourth between 37's and 35's :)

Now whenever I wanted to go and play I was getting closer to 10 :LOL:

Thanks
Jeremiah