DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   She Handled Great (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=145967)

Davidjacob 06-25-2013 03:29 PM

She Handled Great
 
Did a nice big tow last week. A 20ft Enclosed trailer packed full of heavy furniture from LA to San Antonio and back to LA. I had no issues and the RAM did it with no problem. I was a little overloaded because I was squatting even with the airbags set to 25psi. I was a little worried with the 3.55 gearing but it didn't bother me at all. The P3 brake controller was amazing. I had no problem coming to a stop, even with a few panic ones. :smileup:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-U...2/IMG_0465.JPG

brandonjansen 06-25-2013 03:33 PM

Pump up those airbags to 35 psi!! No squatting then :smiley_thumbs_up:

Looks good though! Any idea what the weight of the trailer was loaded?

Davidjacob 06-25-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1134493)
Pump up those airbags to 35 psi!! No squatting then :smiley_thumbs_up:

Looks good though! Any idea what the weight of the trailer was loaded?

So 35psi is a good safe limit? I was afraid to pump them up that much and risk the things blowing.

I wanted to stop at a scale and get the weight but I never got a chance. I remember when we had a moving company move our furniture they told me we were around 4000 lbs.

It seemed much heavier than that but that could be I'm having to also compensate for wind with that box. I used to tow a Land Rover Disco 2 which was around 4500lbs on a car transport and that felt way lighter.

brandonjansen 06-25-2013 03:57 PM

Do you have the Airlift 1000's? If so the max pressure they recommend is 35 psi. I've run mine up there with no problems. My cousin runs his at 40 psi and hasn't had any problems either. I've seen guys airing them up to 65 psi.... but I definitely wouldn't be going that high. They definitely looked like they were ready to blow.

Wind resistance with that trailer would definitely play into it a lot. It would be pushing a lot of wind for sure.

RedSmart 06-25-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidjacob (Post 1134487)
Did a nice big tow last week. A 20ft Enclosed trailer packed full of heavy furniture from LA to San Antonio and back to LA. I had no issues and the RAM did it with no problem. I was a little overloaded because I was squatting even with the airbags set to 25psi. I was a little worried with the 3.55 gearing but it didn't bother me at all. The P3 brake controller was amazing. I had no problem coming to a stop, even with a few panic ones. :smileup:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-U...2/IMG_0465.JPG

I love this picture, as it looks like you are about the race the 18 wheeler.

Nice of you to give him a better poll position! LOL.......

Outdoorsman2012 07-09-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidjacob (Post 1134501)
So 35psi is a good safe limit? I was afraid to pump them up that much and risk the things blowing.

I wanted to stop at a scale and get the weight but I never got a chance. I remember when we had a moving company move our furniture they told me we were around 4000 lbs.

It seemed much heavier than that but that could be I'm having to also compensate for wind with that box. I used to tow a Land Rover Disco 2 which was around 4500lbs on a car transport and that felt way lighter.

Its probably a good thing you didn't weigh it. You would have been surprised by how much you were over on your rear axle. When I weighed my tt my rear axle was 4120 with wdh disconnected and I still had two inches to go before bump stops. I did have the airbags in but they were at 5 psi so i doubt they were helping any. Glad to hear it went well


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger