DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   How did you remove your oil filter on your Hemi? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146051)

shaner82 06-26-2013 10:04 AM

How did you remove your oil filter on your 2013 Hemi?

I want to do my own oil changes, but I recently looked at where the oil filter is, and I have no idea how I'm going to get it off. It's really tucked up in there and it won't be easy to get a tool in there to loosen it.

So for those who have changed the oil on a 2013 with the Hemi, how did you get it off? What specific tool(s) did you use?

rexmobile 06-26-2013 01:00 PM

I just used regular oil filer pliers, the ones that are expandable with notched ends. It was very difficult at first, and I was pending the heck out of the filter, but eventually it slowly came off. Spilled oil everywhere BTW. Not the most graceful but hopefully easier next time since i didnt overtighten like the factory.

KnotSerious 06-26-2013 01:45 PM

There is a thread here about this. Someone said they use a screwdriver to poke a hole in the filter and let it drain, then use the screwdriver through the hole to twist it off. I haven't changed mine yet, but will be doing so soon.

Irv 06-26-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexmobile (Post 1135409)
I just used regular oil filer pliers, the ones that are expandable with notched ends. It was very difficult at first, and I was pending the heck out of the filter, but eventually it slowly came off. Spilled oil everywhere BTW. Not the most graceful but hopefully easier next time since i didnt overtighten like the factory.

Not looking forward to doing mine either, as like you, I have heard it is a pain and can be messy if you don't use some type of empty pail/bucket such as an ice cream/margaine container.

I got 2 free oil changes with mine so hopefully I can sneak into the shop and watch the mechanice do it the first time so I can learn something?

S.C. Express 06-27-2013 01:43 PM

The filter is easily reachable. I put a rag around mine, grabbed it with my hands and with a little foul language, sweat & elbow grease, it broke free fairly easy.

dodge man 06-27-2013 02:21 PM

One of my pet peeves is changing the oil filter the first time.

I've owned the following vehicles that the filters were badly over tightened from the factory. 1986 Dodge Charger, 1996 Concord, 2000 300M, 2005 300C, 1994 Dodge Ram, 1998 Dodge Ram, 2007 Dodge Ram, and last but not least, a 2010 Dodge Challenger.

When I did the 2005 300C I finally lost it and quit in the middle of the change before I drained the oil, fired off one pi$$ed of e-mail to Chrysler, and demanded a free oil change, which they did. You would have thought I would have learned, but I did the filter on my Challenger and I ended up having to use a giant pair of channel locks working through the wheel well with the front tire removed to get it off.

When we bought a 2011 300C I took it to a quicke lube place and watched the guy do it. He had to add a piece of pipe to the end of the wrench to get it off. After the first oil change its almost always easy.

A couple words of caution, once you drive a screwdriver through the filter, your commited, you have to get the filter off since you can't drive it anymore. I have had this method work and I've had it fail. They make a filter wrench that has some jaws that clamp tighter as you turn it. It fits on the end of a 3/8 drive ratchet. This is the best style. The next best is the ones that fit over the end of the filter like a socket.

GTyankee 06-27-2013 02:47 PM

The first oil filter change is not easy, it is brutally tight
i guess it is put on by robots, not humans

when the filter does start to come off, the oil tends to drain onto everything but the pan that you have under it
some people use something like Saran Wrap to cover the metal parts & use different things like baggies to hold the filter itself

I use a oil filter wrench like this one, not on the Ram because i have the dealership change the motor oil
I do use it to remove the Catch Can oil reservoir

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-16...sle-63250.aspx

02 Ram 06-27-2013 03:35 PM

i use a plastic bag around the filter to avoid it from getting all over the place

spoiler 06-27-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02 Ram (Post 1136428)
i use a plastic bag around the filter to avoid it from getting all over the place

^^^^^ What he said. A one gallon ziplock bag works great. It helps if the engine is cool otherwise the plastic bag will catch several ounces of hot oil and you will feel it good. If you loosen the filter about 90% before you place the bag over it - it makes the job quick and tidy.

mchllp925 06-27-2013 06:00 PM

don't forget to make sure that the oil filter rubber gasket didn't stay. They tend to do that.