DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Time for my first Earl CHANGE lol (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146087)

RAMinator13 06-26-2013 06:01 PM

Time for my first Earl CHANGE lol

Time for my first oil change and I want to go with a synthetic and good oil filter without dropping a hundred bucks. I've used valving son power and Mobil one before.. What do yall recommend?!?!? Also should I stay with 5w20 like the oil cap says and how many quarts is a perfect fill?!?!? I live in the hot Texas triple digit weather!! I normally change synthetic at 4k to be safe but is that too soon in these new trucks? Thanks guys I'm bored at work just making sure before I do the task tom :)

GasHole 06-26-2013 08:58 PM

Your choice on the brand of synthetic. I personally will use Mobil 1 as I have for years in all my vehicles. I'm sure Amsoil or the purple stuff, or whoever else's has some scientific mind-boggling molecular data that makes it better, but I can buy Mobil 1 right off the shelf at WalMart or Advance Auto Parts any day of the week....
and YES, you must use 5w20 as specified, due to the MDS function. I change mine at 5,000 using synthetic. I will change it out from the factory fill this weekend at 2500 miles. Just my way of doing things. I think the book says you can go like 7500 miles or something....screw that.

beerguy214 06-26-2013 09:01 PM

I would definitely use the 5w20 because if you don't and something happens to the motor they can tell you that the right oil wasn't used and void warranty.I think the owners manual says like 8,000 miles for oil change or when the indicator light goes on but I personally would not wait that long.On my 2011 ram I went 7,000 and the oil change light came on and when I took it to get it changed they said it looked like mud.lol.So I paid for the engine cleaner and will not go that long again.

Tcon 06-26-2013 09:05 PM

I also use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w20 oil. And I will use their filter as well as soon as they updated it for the 2013 hemi's. If not i'll be using the K&N Oil filter.

I switched to full synthetic at 250 kilometers. You can never switch too early.

RAMinator13 06-26-2013 09:58 PM

Haha ya that's what I am saying. My oil life indicator says 50percent and I alreafy have almost 5 k on the truck and it is alreafy black. Screw that I will be using Mobil one from Walleyworld and changing every 5k thanks ffor the help

GTyankee 06-26-2013 10:14 PM

I buy my Mobile One at Walmart in a 5 quart jug
it is $10 a jug more at all the auto parts stores

I do buy my WIX/NAPA/Carquest filters at a auto parts store, usually buy 2 at once

i also change at 5000 miles

ptesmoke 06-27-2013 02:05 AM

amsoil guy here. though Mobil 1 is definetly up on my list as well. here in Canada Mobil 1 full syn is the same price as amsoil full syn. I go with amsoil because they ship to my door and usually give me hats/t-shirts etc lol

arietem 06-27-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptesmoke (Post 1136107)
amsoil guy here. though Mobil 1 is definetly up on my list as well. here in Canada Mobil 1 full syn is the same price as amsoil full syn. I go with amsoil because they ship to my door and usually give me hats/t-shirts etc lol

Hi, where do you order your Amsoil Full Syn in Canada .. thanks

Grimass 06-27-2013 12:59 PM

Did y'all not get 2 years of free oil changes with the purchase of your truck? I did.. On My Jeep with the 5.7 I also had them -- and it was only like $35 to upgrade to synthetic.

This is from 2 different dealers, so I figured it was a national thing, not a dealer thing.

firemarshallvin 06-27-2013 01:17 PM

so does anyone even know if these trucks come with Synthetic from the factory? I thought that more and more vehicles were and this was how they are "selling" the extended intervals.