DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Hi speed miss? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146139)

Breeze13 06-27-2013 08:09 AM

Hi speed miss?

I have a 98 1500 4wd. When running at a steady speed it seems to miss out. Almost like the fuel flow is interrupted. When I accelerate it really goes, but at a steady speed it drops out for a split second. I can't really hear anything, I just feel it in my gut. Can't hear any cough or backfire. It's just there then it's not. I put a new fuel pump on about 9 months ago so I don't think that's the problem. It's a plastic tank so I don't think there would be rust in there. My wife drives it occasionally and she said it had died on her a couple of times at low speeds but starts up again within a few minutes. I had this problem before after I first bought the truck 4 years ago and a new cam sensor fixed it. Before when the cam sensor went bad it ran great until it just suddenly died. Didn't miss at all. I'm not sure what's going on. Any suggestions would be helpful. A mechanic friend said he thought it would be the PCM but there's gotta be something cheaper to try before I go for the big $350 part. Thanks, Breeze13:doh:

ninjalogic 06-28-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breeze13 (Post 1136160)
I have a 98 1500 4wd. When running at a steady speed it seems to miss out. Almost like the fuel flow is interrupted. When I accelerate it really goes, but at a steady speed it drops out for a split second. I can't really hear anything, I just feel it in my gut. Can't hear any cough or backfire. It's just there then it's not. I put a new fuel pump on about 9 months ago so I don't think that's the problem. It's a plastic tank so I don't think there would be rust in there. My wife drives it occasionally and she said it had died on her a couple of times at low speeds but starts up again within a few minutes. I had this problem before after I first bought the truck 4 years ago and a new cam sensor fixed it. Before when the cam sensor went bad it ran great until it just suddenly died. Didn't miss at all. I'm not sure what's going on. Any suggestions would be helpful. A mechanic friend said he thought it would be the PCM but there's gotta be something cheaper to try before I go for the big $350 part. Thanks, Breeze13:doh:

Possibly The Camshaft Position Sensor (AKA Distributor Ignition Pickup) going bad again or Crankshaft Position Sensor going out but I'm leaning more towards the Crankshaft Position Sensor

Breeze13 06-28-2013 02:35 PM

Thanks for the Reply

Is there some way to test either the Crankshaft position or camshaft position sensors?

ninjalogic 06-28-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breeze13 (Post 1137302)
Is there some way to test either the Crankshaft position or camshaft position sensors?

unfortunately the only way i know of is with a scope and only mechanics have those, you can take it to a shop and have them look at it, personally I would just take it to the dealership, nothing more expensive than chasing a ghost in the system

check out this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZl9ytsleE

Breeze13 06-29-2013 08:47 AM

Thanks NinjaLogic

Thanks for the info and the informative video clip. I can see how this could turn into a parts changing nightmare. I'll try to get it to the dealership and see what they say. Thanks again, Breeze13 :smiley_thumbs_up:

ninjalogic 06-29-2013 09:54 AM

Believe me I had to learn the hard way I just kept changing parts spent almost 1000 in parts trying to get a ghost out of the system it came down to the valves weren't seating correctly on the head