DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Wax On plastic plastic!!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146340)

xtreme 06-29-2013 07:03 PM

Wax On plastic plastic!!!

Ok so I flayed and did a 3 step wax from chemical guys a few weeks ago it turned out awesome and will be using their products from now on. But on to my question I got wax on some of the black plastic(ie bed rails door handles). How do I remove this white wax? It looks horrible. I have seen some gimmick products, but looking for a real solution. Does any one have one? Thanks

CherryRam 06-30-2013 11:29 AM

Foam glass cleaner usually works if you clean it off right away. The alcohol in the glass cleaner is what works. But I have found Mother's Back to Black to work well if that doesn't work. Wax is definitely a pain to get off the plastic.

Pull Ya 06-30-2013 04:23 PM

I know that this is sorta after the fact, but there are 2 kinds of waxes I know that will not leave the white residue on your plastic. One is Colliniote 845 and the other is Opti Car Wax. Both can be used on the black plastic as well as on the painted surfaces. If you like the other type of wax you can always mask the black plastic off before waxing. I have used Invisibile Glass foam to get the white residue off before and it seemed to work pretty good. Your right about a lot of that "Back to Black" crap---doesn't work very well and runs down your paint when it rains or gets wet.
Jay

The Crow 1994 06-30-2013 07:24 PM

This just happened to me a few weeks ago when I used Meguiar's Generation Tech Wax NXT 2.0. I didn't really notice it until the next day, but all the plastic areas where I put the wax turned a chalky white. So, I used Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant (since I use this product on the inside of my Ram) and it got rid of the white residue left over from wax. From now on, I'm switching to Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax because you can get it on plastic without it turning white. :smiley_thumbs_up:

primo spaghetti 06-30-2013 10:21 PM

one product that is no gimmick is Duragloss 481 wax eraser. Works great.

Also an APC (all purpose cleaner) and a stiff brush (denture brush is good) will take it off too.

the other dressings that are listed will make the wax appear that it is removed, but it is just hidden until the dressing wears off.

of course, hindsight is 20/20, but if your going to be using a wax that stains trim, tape it off first. another tip is to apply dressing on your trim BEFORE you wax (i don't like that method, but it does work).

Hermes1 07-01-2013 11:21 AM

Timely post for me, I just ran into the same issue and as usual Primo Spaghetti has solutions, which I will try.

PaulMys 07-03-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crow 1994 (Post 1138928)
This just happened to me a few weeks ago when I used Meguiar's Generation Tech Wax NXT 2.0. I didn't really notice it until the next day, but all the plastic areas where I put the wax turned a chalky white. So, I used Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant (since I use this product on the inside of my Ram) and it got rid of the white residue left over from wax. From now on, I'm switching to Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax because you can get it on plastic without it turning white. :smiley_thumbs_up:

Funny. Same wax, same thing happened. I used 3M vinyl cleaner and an old tooth brush. That was a few weeks ago, and no sign of the wax. Next time I won't be lazy and will tape the plastic!:4-looney:

Leadfootluke 07-05-2013 08:29 PM

I wouldn't buy Black Wow just for the purpose of removing and cleaning up wax on trim, but since I already have it [acquired in a trade] I use it if it is ever needed for that. That same company has Pre-Wow, which is made for cleaning trim.

But like others have said, I would use APC and agitate it [collateral damage will be stripping any wax that is touched]. Glass cleaner may work, but overall you need a solvent to break down the wax.

In the case of something like Collinite 845, it WILL stain trim...if you let it dry. But if you wipe on and wipe off immediately, it won't stain. However, with a wax like that, if you stain the trim with 845, you can reapply 845 to the trim and then immediately remove it and sometimes the solvents will break down the existing 845. It sounds stupid to use a wax to remove a wax, but it can work.