DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Dakota rims on 4th gen (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146365)

CherryRam 06-30-2013 01:11 AM

Dakota rims on 4th gen

They will fit but my question is will they sit further in than my stock 20's? I know the offest on a dakota rim is about 25mm but I can't for the life of me find the backspacing on my 20's. I've got a set of 18" winter tires I want to run and the only thing I can seem to find around here is dakota rims. I just don't want them if they are going to sit a lot further in.

RAM EM 06-30-2013 03:25 AM

Pretty sure BS is 19 mm for the 20" wheels.

CherryRam 06-30-2013 12:21 PM

Cool thanks. So they would sit in about 1/4 inch. Thats not so bad

BlownGP 07-05-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM EM (Post 1138418)
Pretty sure BS is 19 mm for the 20" wheels.

Backspacing is measured in inches not mm and is the distance from the back of the rim to the hub mounting surface. Offset is the distance between the hub mounting surface and the center line of the wheel.

Stock offset is 20mm

RAM EM 07-05-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlownGP (Post 1142914)
Backspacing is measured in inches not mm and is the distance from the back of the rim to the hub mounting surface. Offset is the distance between the hub mounting surface and the center line of the wheel.

Stock offset is 20mm

I know the difference between offset and backspacing, I worked in and managed a tire shop for almost ten years. I just used that terminology inadvertently because that's the way the OP worded it. Thank you for the clarification, however.
And since we are being precise to the last millimeter, the exact offset of the 20" RAM wheel is +19.04 mm, not 20 mm, which is actually an erroneous measurement anyway, since you did not indicate whether it was a positive or negative offset.

BlownGP 07-05-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAM EM (Post 1143148)
I know the difference between offset and backspacing, I worked in and managed a tire shop for almost ten years. I just used that terminology inadvertently because that's the way the OP worded it. Thank you for the clarification, however.
And since we are being precise to the last millimeter, the exact offset of the 20" RAM wheel is +19.04 mm, not 20 mm, which is actually an erroneous measurement anyway, since you did not indicate whether it was a positive or negative offset.

Actually it's +19.05 just looked it up on rambuilder site.
I was told +20mm on the other forum. Just never looked it up.

I think we all know its positive on the stock wheels. No car comes stock with negative offset wheels..

RAM EM 07-06-2013 01:59 AM

I think we've got the specs close enough for the OP's needs. Thanks again for your input!:smileup:

CherryRam 07-07-2013 12:15 PM

Lol thanks guys, I also know the difference between back spacing and offset. Either measurement would tell me where the wheels would sit in comparison to stock wheels. Since they should sit about the same I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for the help!

RAM EM 07-07-2013 12:20 PM

No problem, good luck with it!:smileup: