DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   How do you tow? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146381)

teknoge3k 06-30-2013 09:25 AM

How do you tow?

Now this may be a simple question to most, and it's not intended to be silly. I know as much about automobiles as I do programming a space ship for NASA. So please, be gentle. :LOL:

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi. It's a quad cab, with a full bed. I have the tow package on my truck, and a brake box. I am pulling a 8,000 camper (travel trailer), and want to know exactly how everyone pulls. Do you just keep it in drive? Do you turn O/D off? What about going up hills/mountains? I want to be as gentle as I can on my truck all while getting the job done. I have the Magnaflow exhaust and it makes my truck sound like it's going to explode when I am towing. I know that's just the loud muffler though.

Thoughts??

hydrex 06-30-2013 09:38 AM

OD off. If it feels like it's lugging on a hill, I might downshift manually. Hemis develop their power at higher rpms, it won't hurt to run a 4,000 rpms or more. I tow a 10,000 lb 32' fifth wheel with my 1500 Ram hemi, it does a decent job. I might downshift going down hills to save the brakes a bit also. I think you'll be fine. I once towed a 28' boat (8,000 lbs) from Toronto to Maine in a blizzard, 4wd all the way, fingerprints still on the steering wheel.

teknoge3k 06-30-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrex (Post 1138507)
OD off. If it feels like it's lugging on a hill, I might downshift manually. Hemis develop their power at higher rpms, it won't hurt to run a 4,000 rpms or more. I tow a 10,000 lb 32' fifth wheel with my 1500 Ram hemi, it does a decent job. I might downshift going down hills to save the brakes a bit also. I think you'll be fine. I once towed a 28' boat (8,000 lbs) from Toronto to Maine in a blizzard, 4wd all the way, fingerprints still on the steering wheel.

Thanks so much for your help. That's how I did it (I only towed once when I picked the camper up).. I am glad I did it correctly, and that's the way to do it. Thanks again!!

Oldy but goodie 07-07-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teknoge3k (Post 1138501)
Now this may be a simple question to most, and it's not intended to be silly. I know as much about automobiles as I do programming a space ship for NASA. So please, be gentle. :LOL:

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Hemi. It's a quad cab, with a full bed. I have the tow package on my truck, and a brake box. I am pulling a 8,000 camper (travel trailer), and want to know exactly how everyone pulls. Do you just keep it in drive? Do you turn O/D off? What about going up hills/mountains? I want to be as gentle as I can on my truck all while getting the job done. I have the Magnaflow exhaust and it makes my truck sound like it's going to explode when I am towing. I know that's just the loud muffler though.

Thoughts??

I had a 2008 2500 with the Hemi and it would drop down a gear if I was going up a long hill. But for what you have 3/4 ton with Hemi 8000 lbs isn't going to hurt it. You can find the max weights on the drivers side door for factory recommendations.

GTyankee 07-07-2013 10:00 PM

does the 2500 models have a tow/haul mode ?
If not, shifting manually will indeed help the transmission
if the gear you select keeps down & up shifting, go down one more gear
down shifting works well on down hill grades too, it uses the engine to help with braking, called compression braking