DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Amp Research Power Step install problem (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146425)

mrolow 06-30-2013 07:40 PM

Amp Research Power Step install problem

Due to my work schedule, I took my 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 to a shop to have the Amp Research Power Steps installed. The installer was listed on the Amp Research website as a dealer. I dropped the truck off at 8:00 am to get the steps installed while I was at work. I returned after work and waited for 90 minutes. The sales person told me my left brake light will not light and the windows will not close. They stated the dealer would need to reflash the computer. I immediately took the truck to the dealer and realized none of the electronics were working. When I arrived at the dealer, the check engine light was on. The dealer stated the repairs would be billable as the cause was not covered by the warranty. I will be contacting Amp Research on Monday to find out what the installer did wrong to cause the problem as well as finding out from the dealer what it will take to get the truck back to running condition. I will follow up when I get the answers and the resolution as well as pictures of the install.

Lobo 07-01-2013 01:40 AM

Have you looked to see where they tapped in to to get power? If they tapped into the truck's wiring, they're sending signals where they don't belong. If you can disconnect those wires your dealer may be able to get the truck back where it's supposed to. Perhaps dedicated (fused) wires directly to the battery would work for the steps.

Too many electrical changes to the 13s and many dealers don't know much about them. Case in point, the post here about the key FOBs. Good luck, Lobo.

RedSmart 07-01-2013 03:52 AM

Well now doesn't that suck!!

I would make sure that the place that you had install the Amp steps (or at least attempt to install the Amp steps) knows that a bill is coming their way.

If the install instructions are clear from Amp Research (which from what I've heard, they are) then how did these people screw it up so bad?

Well good luck and do keep us posted.

nomad24 07-01-2013 09:55 AM

I know from experience that the install on these powered boards is pretty tedious and cutting corners to save time can result in the issues that you are having. I would definitely have the dealership give you a report on what the cause of the problem was and have the shop that tried to install the steps pay for it. I would also call AMP and let them know what happened when you used one of their authorized installation shops.

topgun 07-01-2013 01:53 PM

Sounds like the installer messed up the wiring. The Amp instructions definitely are clear, you just have to take your time and double check the work before reconnecting the battery. One wire out of place and it could get pretty ugly. Remember, there are up to 40 computers on the new trucks. It's not really that hard, you just have to be careful and double check all the connections are correct.

sailcat 07-01-2013 05:22 PM

I have installed these steps myself and after installing I can tell you that I would not let any shop do the install. The problem is in making the 4 connections for the door open signal. There are components (computers) that have to be removed to get to the connection points and then 3 large wire connections must be disconnected and tapped into. It took more more than 4 hours just to make these 4 connections and if I knew how hard it was before I started I probably would not have done them. But.... I do know, that if done properly the steps work great in these 2013 trucks. I have had mine in for 3 months with no problems. This install is not for the faint of heart or inexperienced and I would only let a Ram dealer's must experienced tech do something like this (if they would even do it).

Canuk Truck 07-01-2013 07:50 PM

I had the boards installed on my 2013 Sport. Work perfectly with no issues. The installer here definitely messed something up.

mrolow 07-01-2013 10:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my Ram back today. The installer of the Amp steps bent a pin in a connector which shut down the trucks computer. Here are some pic of the steps installed.

Attachment 37009

Attachment 37010

Attachment 37011

RedSmart 07-02-2013 03:15 AM

So did they figure it out, or was it the Ram dealer?

I hope you didn't have to pay for anything extra......in fact I hope they gave you a discount!

edge35 07-02-2013 07:57 AM

Glad you got it squared away. My dad's new F150 came with power running boards and they are definitely handy.