DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Ram 1500 Wont start after 318 5speed swap (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146453)

DodgeFuknRam 07-01-2013 09:23 AM

Ram 1500 Wont start after 318 5speed swap

Ok here we go, Brand new here. So a Big thanks in advance for any and all help..

I Have a 97 Ram 1500 sport that came with a 360 A/T 4x4 [3.93], I bought a parts truck that was a 99 318 5speed for $500 with 85K. ( what a deal). i did the swap using the A/T Harness and ECU grounding out the park/neutral safety to the cross member. I have the trans in neutral, havnt put the pedals in yet cuz im focusing on getting it to start yet. [Bare with me here, im just trying to be as specific as possible]

So i went to fire it up, cranked slow, bought a reman from autozone, same thing. OK, so i replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor ( which it needed). Same. Put an optima to it with 850CCA and SAME. i dont honestly know what else it might be besides, say a starter relay, or bad ground.

It appears to me that the battery is getting significant battery drain. regaurdless of how much power its given. even on a trickle charge, vehicle jump, and a 200A charger start..

Also i wanted to mention that it has an ignition lock out thats wired to the harness on the column and i have to push the "unlock" button on the Key FOB to allowd the truck to start.

I Know its a lot at once but any help would be appreciated. its been a long haul for this truck. its saved me and paid for itself. i owe it to this thing to bring back my Dodge Fukn Ram

Warlock III 07-01-2013 12:05 PM

So if I understand correctly, you swapped the A/T to the manual using the A/T harness?

This is going to be a step-by-step process most likely with some other members chiming in so get out your pan and paper.

I'd start by double checking the timing and start covering your bases. I don't think anyone is going to pull the answer out of a hat on the first try.

I'd run the neutral safety wire up to the clutch pedal and use that set up.

The ECM also indicates the shift points on the A/T and has an indicator light for manual shifting on the dash (manual trans) don't think so but there might be an issue there.

GTyankee 07-01-2013 12:22 PM

Just a guess here

are you using the computer from the old setup, in the new setup
keeping the 318 computer & sensors with the 318 engine & visa versa

DodgeFuknRam 07-01-2013 12:48 PM

i actually swapped the motor and trans, Used the original 360/ a/t harness on the 318 5 speed motor. Using the original 360 computer as well..

* have not checked timing.. ah derr.. ;/

im really baffled why the battery would draw down so heavily. even with the spark plugs out, it showed a draw within a comparable time frame.

* and the two wires on the clutch slave cylinder, would naturally be a in and out for the ground, right?

Gen1dak 07-01-2013 04:21 PM

Ummm, dude. Disconnect the neutral safety switch from the crossmember. I'm thinking that might work wonders for the power drain issue. If I'm reading this right, you're using the manual transmission. There is no neutral start safety switch on the manual transmission and it certainly is not to to be grounded to the frame.

DodgeFuknRam 07-01-2013 05:06 PM

im sure i had mentioned, maybe misunderstood. im using the original 360 automatic harness. in which the neutral safety and reverse lights are wired to the harness on a 3 wire plug to the trans. i cut the plug off and grounded the neutral safety wire to the cross member.

i had installed both the 318 and 5speed from a parts truck to the existing wiring harness.

* regaurdless. ill try that as well. wouldnt hurt any everything to gain

Warlock III 07-01-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgeFuknRam (Post 1139384)

* and the two wires on the clutch slave cylinder, would naturally be a in and out for the ground, right?

Yup just a 2 wire connection single switch that acts as an inturrupter unless the pedal is down. Which would indicate that it is not grounded.

See I told you to get out your pen and paper :LOL: start writin' this stuff down :Racing:

DodgeFuknRam 07-02-2013 10:15 AM

alright, well im gonna try to make it up to my truck to get a few things tied up this afternoon. Ill be sure to check the timing. and do something with the the neutral safety switch. Any other thoughts as to what would draw so much power from the battery away from the starter?

DodgeFuknRam 07-02-2013 06:56 PM

Wow.. A Little embarrassed on this one, but i feel i should at least give the resolution as to what the problem was...

It was the Ground from the block to the Firewall, and my girlfriend[ my good luck charm] who cranked it over for the first time..

Warlock III 07-02-2013 07:12 PM

:LOL: no body ground. I was going to suggest you try a temp with a pair of jumper cables.

Now you get to do the dishes.